6 months, no hawks, now...

dadthebaker

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 7, 2011
Los Angeles Area
We moving into our house six months ago.

I found this house mainly for the sake of owning chickens without pesky neighbors; we live in an industrial area with pallet yards, machine shops, and factories....few residential neighbors but LOTS of sparrows.

Yesterday, a hawk was in our front yard trees, apparently looking for sparrow nests... my girls, whom have free run of the yard, freaked out and huddled under a bush... I ran out and spooked the hawk.

Yesterday late afternoon, I was putzing around the backyard (where my run is) whilst the hens were in the front yard.

This beautiful hawk swooped down, went through my semi enclosed patio between the tarp and fencing (about four feet gap) and made a lunge/grab at a sparrow that was feeding in the run... seemed like a long time, but wasn't more than five seconds...

pretty ballsy bird.

After six months of no hawks, and now this occurance... I am wondering if the hawk is going to take up residence in my neighborhood. Or is it a temporary gig...

oh, and I just recently noticed a baby opposum eating in the run at night... that, is a way easier problem to solve!

The majority of hawks are too small to take an adult chicken. I have Merlins who come to catch sparrows and they will go right into my run. But they weigh well under a pound and there is no way they are a threat to my 10 pound ducks.

If you have one of the rare hawks who is big enough and brave enough to take a chicken, then your best option is a covered run.

If something as large as a possum can get into your chicken run, you could use some work on your security measures.

My first chicken loss was to a Cooper's hawk. It went after a full-sized GLW, which is a hefty, dual purpose bird. The hawk couldn't actually kill the chicken because the chicken was twice its size, but it took a swatch of skin about 8x8 inches off her. Boy, was that a bloody mess! That poor chicken was pretty much flayed.

Do not think that your chickens are ever safe from any hawks. If a hawk is hungry enough they will make a try at your birds. They may not succeed in killing your birds, but they can certainly make life miserable.

Time to get to work on a more secure run for the birds.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom