6 of my birds died

HarmonyFox

Songster
Apr 5, 2018
This is more of a venting post so if I need to move it I will. I just wasn't sure where to put it.
This past month I've been pretty busy helping take care of my grandmaw who broke her shoulder so I haven't had time to sit in my coop cod hold my birds like usual. Well the day before yesterday I missed a day for food but they always have food left so I was like "they'll be fine just angry with me." So yesterday I went to feed them in the morning and I walk out there and my birds look so tired and three are dead. I'm like oh my God what's going on????? So I scoop up my hen and rooster that are half alive and syringe feed them and get them warm then go back outside and burry my other rooster, a hen, and a Muscovy. They feel thinner than usual so I start googling what's up and get out my coccidia meds and put some in everyone's water. Then I take care of the two inside more then go to sleep because I'm depressed and tired and don't have anything else to do at that moment. Well I wake up 3 hours later and my rooster passed but my hen has perked up. I walk him outside to burry him and I check on the others and my two other Muscovy and one other hen are dead. I one is recently dead so I tried to do CPR but it didn't work. So I burry everyone else and get on my phone to figure out what's up. It sounded like the only thing it could have been was a bad case of coccidia but then I noticed my last duck stick his head outside of the coop and drink some water. I wouldn't have payed much attention to this but the water looked soapy so I inspect closer.
Background on where we live:
We live at my boyfriend's aunt's aunt' barn. She was nice enough to offer us one of the vacant trailers. Well the plumbing is pretty weird and many things have been fixed since we got here. One of the things is where our sinks, shower, and washer drain to. They used to drain right beside the coop but not to where the birds could get the water but I wanted it further so the barns handy man came and made it drain further away.
So as I was saying I say my duck sticking his head out drinking some water and the water looked soapy. Well the pipes under the trailer got loose and all my detergent and bleach filled washing machine water has been draining RIGHT at my coop. I googled it and it didn't seem fatal just bad diarrhea for animals but if they've been drinking this water for a month and just slowly getting more unhealthy and to top it off it's been 30F here.....I'm so upset but idk if I'm upset at life or myself of what but my birds are so depressed too. My duck lost all his wives. He had 4. The only actual duck died a few months back from a predator and now his three Muscovy wives died and he's so sad and depressed just sitting in a corner only coming out to eat. And I have no more roosters now because I only had two so basically all I have is 4 hens, my turkey, and my duck. We're moving soon too and we were in the process of building a better coop for everyone at the new place.........I'm so sad. I obviously fixed it so there's no contaminated water getting anywhere near them but I'm just so upset now. So I guess I'm just venting because I'm confused and sad and have so many emotions.

Oh, sweetie, you're not alone. So many of us have gone through something similar, and felt like we killed our birds. Of course, what happened wasn't your fault, but it doesn't make it hurt any less.

You posted in the right place. These kinds of experiences, though awful and painful, can help other chicken people, making them aware of things we don't often consider a hazard to our chickens and ducks.

You did not kill those chickens and duck. It's extremely sad this happened, but try to understand that you can't be everywhere and think of everything. Thank you for posting this. It will help others.

:hugsx1000

I truly understand your feelings right now.

We are fighting to keep our 1 year old dog alive after she swallowed a rock....that they dug up.
It is horrible that these things happen at all.

I am super sorry that your birds have passed. I am glad you saw there was an issue and fixed it though.

:hugsx1000

I truly understand your feelings right now.

We are fighting to keep our 1 year old dog alive after she swallowed a rock....that they dug up.
It is horrible that these things happen at all.

I am super sorry that your birds have passed. I am glad you saw there was an issue and fixed it though.
:hugsKeeping you and yours in my thoughts and hoping your fur baby gets better!:fl

Back
Top Bottom