6 week chick attacked by feral cat

Chickens can go in shock very quickly and often that is what kills them. In the veterinary world chickens who come in like this are given injections to treat stress and pain and then placed in a device much like a baby incubator which supplies warm moist heat along with oxygen. We give them an hour or so to stabilize before addressing other needs. Now if the patient is actively bleeding the veterinarian makes the call about further treatment. And if he/she decides to go further, all treatment takes place in the baby incubator as the goal is to keep the bird oxygenated while treated. If the bird struggles, gas anesthesia may be applied via face mask, and the treatment is performed while the patient is asleep.

Injured Avian patients are difficult to treat because it seems they are hardwired to drop dead when stressed and in pain. Rabbits are like that, too.

I wish the very best for your chicken. Good luck.

I'm glad she made it through the night! Last fall one of my hens got attacked by a red-tailed hawk. She has a large neck wound similar to the one you posted. It took a couple of weeks, but she's good as new now, and laying like a champ at 5 years old! I hope your little one does the same.

Well Pearl (our injured chickee) is perking up a bit! I got some electrolytes into her, gave her wounds another cleaning, bandage change and recommended medication. She is now walking, and eating some food! So theres hope yet!

Next step for today is trapping the cat that's caused this mess and taking a trip to the shelter.

This sounds promising!

Back
Top Bottom