6 Week Old BA Hen Or Roo

Rolmstead3

In the Brooder
May 3, 2017
Vermont
DSC_0993.JPG

Was wondering what your thoughts on these 2 6 week old BA are. Thought the where both Roos due to their early comb growth. The bottom one deff looks like a roo with the nice red comb and big wattles however the upper ones i am no longer sure as it really does not have wattle growth as of now. an thoughts?

View attachment 703125
Was wondering what your thoughts on these 2 6 week old BA are. Thought the where both Roos due to their early comb growth. The bottom one deff looks like a roo with the nice red comb and big wattles however the upper ones i am no longer sure as it really does not have wattle growth as of now. an thoughts?
Both look like cockerels to me. I have a 6-week old BA, and she has the same small comb, and barely any wattles and both are very pale still.
IMG_4933[1].JPG
IMG_4928[1].JPG

Both are roosters at 6 weeks.
Both look like cockerels to me. I have a 6-week old BA, and she has the same small comb, and barely any wattles and both are very pale still.
View attachment 708846
View attachment 708951
I have 2 whom's combs and wattles look like yours, the one in question above is pretty identical to those two as far as size, legs, tails, and wattles. early on this one was slow to grow tail feather and had a bigger comb then those 2 but now the tail feather look the same and the comb is about half the size as the Roo's, but wattle is the size of the other 2. Guess I am hoping its a hen to keep the raito good.

I have 2 whom's combs and wattles look like yours, the one in question above is pretty identical to those two as far as size, legs, tails, and wattles. early on this one was slow to grow tail feather and had a bigger comb then those 2 but now the tail feather look the same and the comb is about half the size as the Roo's, but wattle is the size of the other 2. Guess I am hoping its a hen to keep the raito good.
I hear ya. I now think the one on the top could also be a fast maturing girl? I don't know, that's also a possibility, even though it is not my first thought. I guess wait 2 more weeks and update pics to see how much of a change there is regarding comb and wattle color and size by then, just a thought!

I hear ya. I now think the one on the top could also be a fast maturing girl? I don't know, that's also a possibility, even though it is not my first thought. I guess wait 2 more weeks and update pics to see how much of a change there is regarding comb and wattle color and size by then, just a thought!
I am fine with the wait and see, but i got 12 chickens, 2 of which are deff Roo's this one would make 3, and a 11 year old whom i a trying to keep from getting attached to them. been telling her from the get go not to get attached as some may end up in the freezer if there is to many boys so she should be good. It would just be good to know which ones she can start naming.

I am fine with the wait and see, but i got 12 chickens, 2 of which are deff Roo's this one would make 3, and a 11 year old whom i a trying to keep from getting attached to them. been telling her from the get go not to get attached as some may end up in the freezer if there is to many boys so she should be good. It would just be good to know which ones she can start naming.

I am on the same boat as you with my Silver Laced Wyandotte and a Barred Rock. They both look like roosters as of now, 6 weeks old, but they have other physical features that make me doubt it. So I have to wait 2 more weeks to see new changes. I do not like the wait-and-see game haha, but I have no other choice. I would have to get rid of any rooster that I may end up with because I live in a town that does not allow roosters. Out of the 10 chicks I got, 2 are possible roos.
Are you going to keep any rooster at all, or will process them all?

I am on the same boat as you with my Silver Laced Wyandotte and a Barred Rock. They both look like roosters as of now, 6 weeks old, but they have other physical features that make me doubt it. So I have to wait 2 more weeks to see new changes. I do not like the wait-and-see game haha, but I have no other choice. I would have to get rid of any rooster that I may end up with because I live in a town that does not allow roosters. Out of the 10 chicks I got, 2 are possible roos.
Are you going to keep any rooster at all, or will process them all?
I it turns out to only be 2 then I will see how well then 10 hens do with 2 rooster, I am deff concerned that 3 roos and 9 hens will be more harm to the Hens then its worth at which point i will have to reduce the number of roos as i don't really have the room to build a separate roo coop and run

Back
Top Bottom