6 week old Buff Brahma. Rooster or Pullet? Praying for Pullet

8675309j

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 23, 2013
We have 4 six week old Chicks, 1 is a Buff Orpington, 3 are Buff Brahmas. We bought from the feed store who ordered from Privett and Dunlap hatcheries. We have one Brahma which isn't feathering like the rest which has me worried She may be a He. Can anyone give me thoughts. I spoke to one of the gals shortly today and she also mentioned the slow feathering could be a mixed breed?

All 4 Babes, Chick on Left is the one in question

Strange feathering? Is this normal? I never noticed this with the other 3.

Tail isn't has poofy as the others

TIA!

I don't know it's still pretty early, I think it could be a girl.
Just keep watching the comb size and color within a couple weeks you will know without a doubt.

I have 2 BB, 12 weeks old, from a hatchery. I got them at 3 days old and both were supposed to be pullets. One feathered in much faster than the other and the quicker to feather turned out to be a cockerel and the slower to feather is a pullet. So I'm not sure the 'slower to feather' always applies as to sexing or mixed breed. But from your pics it looks like some darker feathers are coming in on the shoulder/side area and my cockerel go that as well. The good thing is, you have others to compare this one to and that always helps.
But I am very very new to chickens and just wanted to pass on my 2 cents and experience with my 2.
Post pics in another few weeks showing comb, side view and of it standing on it's own rather than holding and some people may be able to help. Good luck. They are very pretty!!

The dark red on the wings and the comb are leading me to say cockerel. My pullets are close to 12 weeks and have none of that red on them and smaller/narrower combs.

Thanks everyone! I am becoming obsessed with this, I don't want to have to get rid of any of them but am sure my neighbors would be furious with the daily wake up as would I. Not to mention that I don't really want chickens multiplying. Said Chicken tends to have a deeper chirp too? Does this mean anything? Is there a way to trick a Roo into thinking he is a she if he is a he? Say I start putting bows in his hair and rename Brewster (way to masculine but named by a child) to MABEL? LOVE MY GIRLS!

What sex did your 2 slow feathering BB's turn out to be? The other 3? I and in the same predicament.

Thanks everyone! I am becoming obsessed with this, I don't want to have to get rid of any of them but am sure my neighbors would be furious with the daily wake up as would I. Not to mention that I don't really want chickens multiplying. Said Chicken tends to have a deeper chirp too? Does this mean anything? Is there a way to trick a Roo into thinking he is a she if he is a he? Say I start putting bows in his hair and rename Brewster (way to masculine but named by a child) to MABEL? LOVE MY GIRLS!
Buff Brahma roos are hard to come by so if you did have a roo I think you would not have an issue getting it a new home but I am unsure why you would not want to keep him. Beautiful giant birds that are so funny to watch and they really are not that noisy. And it is a myth that roos crow at sun up. THEY CROW ALL DAY LONG! lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom