6 Week old Chick - Pecking Wound

Nate Caskey

In the Brooder
Sep 16, 2017
F46D05CB-0E7F-4148-9B08-99F71D39B2E5.jpeg
B610C123-3EF6-4E45-B179-F48F5D923A86.jpeg
65B74563-B58F-4CFC-BAAF-EF9CD6890058.jpeg
F46D05CB-0E7F-4148-9B08-99F71D39B2E5.jpeg
GI have a 6 week old chick with a wound on the top of her head. I am going to separate her from the others. What do I do?

What do you have in the house for first aid? I would try cleaning it first with hydrogen peroxide or saline and then bacitracin ointment on it. Use a clean qtip.
I have done all of that and cleaned and rinsed it out. Will it heal on its own or will it need stitches?

It will heal. Don't use peroxide, it kills healthy cells and slows healing. I would just keep it clean with saline and I like to use, vetericyn spray. Watch it closely for signs of infection. You could also use BluKote, it has an antiseptic in it, so the others don't keep pecking.

Actually, I find Blu-kote makes them peck more. I don't recommend it.

What do you have in the house for first aid? I would try cleaning it first with hydrogen peroxide or saline and then bacitracin ointment on it. Use a clean qtip.
Definitely keep her separated until not bloody and a bit healed. You might want to put her near the others so they are used to her.

It will heal. Don't use peroxide, it kills healthy cells and slows healing. I would just keep it clean with saline and I like to use, vetericyn spray. Watch it closely for signs of infection. You could also use BluKote, it has an antiseptic in it, so the others don't keep pecking.

Id recommend keeping this chick in with the others, just blocked off with some netting so they can still see each other but not touch. It totally sucks trying to reintroduce a lone chick to a flock.

Back
Top Bottom