6 week old chicks head twitching

AMurray102

In the Brooder
Feb 2, 2024
Hi! I got these chicks a few weeks ago, they are now 6 weeks old. They just started twitching their heads today… I thought they may have been too hot, so I turned the heat light off, but then they huddled up close and appeared cold. Any ideas??

What breed are the chicks? Are they still on grower feed?

I'd give them some Nutra Drench or Poultry Cell in the water in the meantime while you figure out what's causing it. That's just in case it's a vitamin deficiency, but it may need more depending.

Welcome to BYC, by the way! :frow

Hi! I got these chicks a few weeks ago, they are now 6 weeks old. They just started twitching their heads today… I thought they may have been too hot, so I turned the heat light off, but then they huddled up close and appeared cold. Any ideas??
If they appear cold, then they may still need some heat. Where are they housed and what is the current temperature? Do you have a thermometer? Are they fully feathered? Chicks may twitch a bit when their feathers are coming in so rapidly. I usually remove the heat lamp once they are tolerating 65 degrees and are all fully feathered. If they are outside in the cold, putting a little heat for those that want it for a day or two may be normal.

If they appear cold, then they may still need some heat. Where are they housed and what is the current temperature? Do you have a thermometer? Are they fully feathered? Chicks may twitch a bit when their feathers are coming in so rapidly. I usually remove the heat lamp once they are tolerating 65 degrees and are all fully feathered. If they are outside in the cold, putting a little heat for those that want it for a day or two may be normal.
They are in the house, we keep it about 70 in here. I don’t have a thermometer for them specifically. I’ll upload a pic!

Attachments

• IMG_5387.jpeg
    IMG_5387.jpeg
    558.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5388.jpeg
    IMG_5388.jpeg
    511.4 KB · Views: 4
They are in the house, we keep it about 70 in here. I don’t have a thermometer for them specifically. I’ll upload a pic!
IMG_5387.jpeg
IMG_5388.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom