6 week old muscovies w/small bare areas**PICS**

mcjerdensfarm

Songster
13 Years
Apr 12, 2009
Tishomingo, MS
I had 7 muscovy duckling that are 5-7 weeks old. The smallest duckling is the only one without any "baldness" problems. They are kept in a movable enclosure and only let out to free range when we can watch them. We haven't changed their diet (Nutrena non-medicated duck feed) and have not noticed any plucking, but all of them seem to be losing their feathers/fluff in small areas on their backs. I didn't know if maybe they are molting--our temps here have been in the mid to upper 90's. One became "sluggish" yesterday afternoon so we removed it and brought it inside. It was eating and drinking but passed away this morning (it may have just been meant to be). Any ideas or advice?

Here is a "bald spot"--looks a little larger because my baby was still damp. It is hard to tell but there is some feather growth present.
27814_mus1.jpg

Here are my two darkest babies getting a bite to eat while enjoying the pool. The dark brown one has a "thinning" back--lighter areas.
27814_mus2.jpg

Last edited:
Oh Lord- I had some muscovys at one time, along with a mama who hatched out 20 something babies. OMG, they tore eachother up! WORSE then my chickens. They pick at eachothers back feathers, and they love to eat the wing feathers also. I don't know why... someone at a trade day said if you dont have them on a pond they'll do it anyway no matter what your pen is like, but i had plenty of space for them! It got on my nerves so bad, so we sold them.
sad.png

OMG--we haven't noticed any picking, but I will start watching them more to see if that is what they are doing. The bare spots just gradually started appearing a few days ago. Anyone else ever have this problem??

Check list: Be sure there isn't any picking going on, nothing on the grass like fertilizer or such that might bother their skin, feed in good condition, no mites, plenty of shade and clean water. You could try a vitimin/mineral supplement like Avia Charge 2000. I give it to all my chooks and ducks free choice daily. It's a complete and natural vitamin/mineral supplement that you add to their water & can get at McMurrey Hatchery. I've had fewer illness problems w/the chooks since I started them on it. Felt that on the off chance something was missing in their diet, stress factors, etc. that it would help cover any lack & it sure seems to have. The chooks like it, the ducks LOVE it. (has seaweed in it -
wink.png
)Also, you might PM BYC'er, Muscovy, who has a lot of experience w/them for one. There are probably others that I can't think of at the moment.

Thanks so much for your help with this--I really appreciate it. We went out earlier and my dark duckling has become bald very suddenly. Tiny had incriminating brown fluff on his/her beak and face so I'm afraid that they are picking at each other. DH said he would seperate all of them if we have to so they can break this nasty habit. I will definitely check on the supplement. Hopefully we can get this problem resolved soon.

Back
Top Bottom