6 week old polish chick can’t see and is being pecked!! Help!

briannajustine

Chirping
Sep 17, 2021
AB281535-6752-470D-8FA8-7BC071BADE5B.jpeg
9A74C95F-EDD3-4024-B884-8E157236700B.jpeg
Hi all,
My sweet little polish chick is having a rough time and I need help! Her hair, if that’s what you call it haha, is huge and has been since she was a few weeks old but recently I’ve noticed she’s having trouble seeing. She can spot food but gets really skittish if anything touches her as she can’t see it coming!
I came home today and noticed she has a bit of a bald patch and lots of pin feathers and blood! Seems like she’s been picked on (I’m looking at you bossy little Maran chick 🙄) and I saw her little polish sister pecking at her head afterwards so I removed her before they could make it worse!
She’s currently in a separate cage, right next to her sisters so they can still see each other, plus it will make it easier to reintroduce her when she’s better.
I know I should be separating them and thought it would be better for her to be able to see the others as otherwise they cry for each other but she seems very distressed by the fact she can’t get to them. Am I doing the right thing by keeping them close at the moment?
Also any tips for the hair?? She’s too wiggly to cut it at the moment as she’s still pretty little and I’m not very confident, and I’m not able to put in a hair tie or anything at the moment as it’s too short with the bald patch. I’ve put some coconut oil in today to try and slick it back which has helped a little bit there are still a lot of feathers covering her eyes that wouldn’t stick back!!
Any tips are greatly appreciated as I want her to be able to see and enjoy her life haha.
First pic is pre injury (a week or so ago so hair is even bigger now!) and second is today with coconut oil in

Polish are different, and chickens penalize difference. (Sound familiar?) They can be a challenge in a flock of mixed breeds. You are well aware of the challenges this chick faces, so you will simply need to gather the courage and determination to handle this, and do what you know you must. Trim the feathers around the eyes, and do what you need to do to protect it from aggression. Or give them away to a flock with mostly Polish.

Polish are different, and chickens penalize difference. (Sound familiar?) They can be a challenge in a flock of mixed breeds. You are well aware of the challenges this chick faces, so you will simply need to gather the courage and determination to handle this, and do what you know you must. Trim the feathers around the eyes, and do what you need to do to protect it from aggression. Or give them away to a flock with mostly Polish.
Our other little polish is having no troubles but her hairdo sits up higher away from her eyes, I think this little one just can’t see them coming at the moment :(

Back
Top Bottom