6 week old poults..can they go outside?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by spish, Jun 17, 2010.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    i have 4 x 6week old poults here that are stuck in a tiny cage due to lack of space inside (they are cooped up in an old guineapig cage 1metrex60cmx50cm)
    they have not had a heat lamp since they were 2 weeks old (due to it being so warm here!) so im wondering if it will be safe to put them in a run in the garden? if i build a little house could they stay out at night too? (the room they are in now is like a shed..not heated so temp difference wont be big)

theres been nothing sprayed on the grass/plants for years..nothing toxic to pick up..only thing out there in a seperte run is a mummy hen and 5 chicks..

2. ziggywiggy

ziggywiggy Songster

May 25, 2009
    McNeal, AZ
    I put mine outside during the day and bring them in at night. Just don't let them get wet or chilled.

3. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    yay!
    weather is nice here at the moment so im happy they can go out..

4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:I agree.

5. pdpatch

pdpatch Songster

Apr 5, 2008
    Hastings, Nebraska
    The main reason most wait for 9 weeks is that the turkeys immunity system is not full developed until then. But as they get closer to that 9 weeks old the more likely they are to fight off simple diseases and viruses. Since most of use don't have comprehensive soil testing done we don't know what is in the soil, it ends up being safer to wait. But that doesn't mean anything will happen if you put them out earlier.

Tom

6. Struttn1

Struttn1 Songster

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    They definitely need larger living quarters. They are a bit young to free range and will be very susceptible to getting wet/chilled and also they are not mature enough to escape a predator yet.

7. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    i have a secure enclosure outside 2mx2mx1m which i think is better for them..im going to start putting them in it in the day then back in at night for a few weeks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by