6 week old poults..can they go outside?

spish

De Regenboog Kippetjes
13 Years
Apr 7, 2010
Belgium
i have 4 x 6week old poults here that are stuck in a tiny cage due to lack of space inside (they are cooped up in an old guineapig cage 1metrex60cmx50cm)
they have not had a heat lamp since they were 2 weeks old (due to it being so warm here!) so im wondering if it will be safe to put them in a run in the garden? if i build a little house could they stay out at night too? (the room they are in now is like a shed..not heated so temp difference wont be big)

theres been nothing sprayed on the grass/plants for years..nothing toxic to pick up..only thing out there in a seperte run is a mummy hen and 5 chicks..

The main reason most wait for 9 weeks is that the turkeys immunity system is not full developed until then. But as they get closer to that 9 weeks old the more likely they are to fight off simple diseases and viruses. Since most of use don't have comprehensive soil testing done we don't know what is in the soil, it ends up being safer to wait. But that doesn't mean anything will happen if you put them out earlier.

Tom

They definitely need larger living quarters. They are a bit young to free range and will be very susceptible to getting wet/chilled and also they are not mature enough to escape a predator yet.

i have a secure enclosure outside 2mx2mx1m which i think is better for them..im going to start putting them in it in the day then back in at night for a few weeks
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom