1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

6 week old RIR pullets????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PunkinPeep, Oct 14, 2009.

1. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    These are some head shots of my 6 week-old rir chicks. They were sold to me as pullets. To me their development looks very different in the comb/face area. Does anyone think i should be suspicious yet?

I know it's probably too early to really tell. But i would love your input anyway - any half-educated guess is welcome. [​IMG]

This first one has the delicate-looking tiny pale comb. But the others seem much less dainty. [​IMG] and much more red/pink....
    [​IMG]

This second one is the one i'm most suspicious of.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I'd guess the last one is a roo, the second one maybe. Give them another 2 weeks and you should know for sure.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  3. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I'm curious about how three of them have super white faces, and the one in the second picture has a brownish face.

Is that an indication of gender? It kind of seems to be, but i don't really know.

4. missfitch

missfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Marysville Ohio
    my uneducated guess is 1 and 3 are hens, the other two give more time and re-post

5. Megs

Megs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    i would also say 1 & 3 are pullet and 2 & 4 could be roos, re-post photos in a few weeks it should be a bit easier to guess [​IMG]

did you get from a hatchery? or just someone who said they can sex them?

6. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I got them from a feed store, who i presume, got them from a hatchery.

7. missfitch

missfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Marysville Ohio
    I got a red production from tsc in April and she is my fav girl, she is sooo sweet and follows me around like a lost puppy, nothing fancy to look at but soooo sweet, she was a freebee they gave my son, you should have some good eggs on the way!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by