6 yr old hen struggling- crop issue?

Mixed up a concoction of coconut oil, yeast infection cream, and some sort of tropical fruit flavored crushed tums. I had to laugh that it smelled just like a cool whip dessert I remembered my mom making when I was a kid :p

Anyway, Miss Robin gobbled it right down before I could even scoop it up to offer her. She does still smell a bit stinky- just that sort of "sick poop" smell they can get- despite her earlier bath. I have not seen her poop yet (I still need to find our hospital crate to isolate her; have been trying to do all this in between work meetings). She didn't have any obvious discharge coming from her vent, but the lumpy feeling is certainly there up in between her legs. Time will tell.

I do appreciate you all offering such good suggestions. I will let you know what tomorrow brings.

Not much Of an update this morning. There was a little solid poop under her spot on the roost this morning, and no more green solids. She LOOKS like she feels ok-bright eyes, good color in her face. Crop still a bit squishy but had gone down at least some overnight. Still lumpy underneath. No eggs laid.

For now I’m just going to keep up with the sour crop treatment.

Continuing with the oral treatment. Interestingly, I think the abdominal swelling has actually gone down quite a bit. No one at all has laid any eggs the pst two days (molting).

Crop is still pendulous. Trying to make a cloth face mask work as her bra. If she didn’t have the droopy crop you wouldn’t think anything is wrong just from looking at her...

Found the Tums. I got a roll of peppermint and fruit flavored. I thought I remembered there was an ingredient in mint gum that was toxic to dogs, so wasn’t sure if that is a problem with the flavoring or the gum itself. Is there a reason to use one flavor vs the other for my chicky?
Xylitol is what you are thinking of. Artificial sweetener highly toxic to dogs. Sometimes found in peanut butter. Happy to hear that your hen seems to be improving. I'm rooting for you both!

Everything still pretty much the same. She enjoys her treatments but is still having the same issues. However this morning there was the most solid poop under the roost so far and the crop was the smallest yet. She is acting normally but I do think she has an “infection” smell around her vent. We’ll just continue on...

Everything still pretty much the same. She enjoys her treatments but is still having the same issues. However this morning there was the most solid poop under the roost so far and the crop was the smallest yet. She is acting normally but I do think she has an “infection” smell around her vent. We’ll just continue on...
Having an infection smell doesn't sound too good.

I would wonder if she has an underlying reproductive issue which can be common in older laying hens.
If you have any antibiotics you could try those too. Often none of the measures we take are cures, but part of supportive care to make them more comfortable.
Amoxicillin would be something I would consider giving, I've found it at TSC or you can order it online.

I agree with you @Wyorp Rock. The good news is that we are back to solid poop. But the bad is that it smells very funky and the urates are tinged yellowish.

I found some ancient Baytril in my vet kit but it’s not really usable. I think I’ll have to order some fish mox and see if that helps her at all.

Abdomen isn’t too swollen but there are little bulges on both right and left that don’t feel the same as other hens. Overall though her attitude is good and she’s out chickening normally with everyone else.

I agree with you @Wyorp Rock. The good news is that we are back to solid poop. But the bad is that it smells very funky and the urates are tinged yellowish.

I found some ancient Baytril in my vet kit but it’s not really usable. I think I’ll have to order some fish mox and see if that helps her at all.

Abdomen isn’t too swollen but there are little bulges on both right and left that don’t feel the same as other hens. Overall though her attitude is good and she’s out chickening normally with everyone else.
I'm glad her poop is better and she's out with the others. I try to leave mine with their flock unless I see no other way. I think they do much better that way and are happier too.

Poor hen! Bulges does sound reproductive, it's sad really that these hens end up having difficulties.
Fish Mox or Baytril would be fine, so check around and see what you can get.

Back
Top Bottom