60 chicks what are they?

Semperfi

Hatching
6 Years
Dec 26, 2013
I have 60 chicks and have no clue what type they are. I was told they are a "barnyard mix"?!? What does that mean?

Either way here are some pictures...

They were hatched Dec 15

Any help is greatly appreciated...

In my neck of the woods "barnyard mix" means a mixed breed chicken, unless the person specifies that it's a selection of pure breed eggs, which then means that the chicks are pure bred but you'll end up with a bunch of different breeds.

In my neck of the woods "barnyard mix" means a mixed breed chicken, unless the person specifies that it's a selection of pure breed eggs, which then means that the chicks are pure bred but you'll end up with a bunch of different breeds.

x2--these are all mixed breeds. Even if it was a mixed group of different kinds of purebred chicks, they would have been sold by breed name.

You can ask the seller what breeds of hens and roosters they keep, which will give you an vague idea about some of the mixes once they're older.

BTW, the white chick (looks like a white Leghorn or white Rock cross) stretching its wing on the right side of the top photo is most likely male.

x2--these are all mixed breeds. Even if it was a mixed group of different kinds of purebred chicks, they would have been sold by breed name.

You can ask the seller what breeds of hens and roosters they keep, which will give you an vague idea about some of the mixes once they're older.

BTW, the white chick (looks like a white Leghorn or white Rock cross) stretching its wing on the right side of the top photo is most likely male.
how can you tell

Barnyard mix is the chicken term for mixed breed, Heinz 57, mutt, whatever you want to call them.

Are they supposed to be sexed?

No they weren't sexed. A lot of them are stretching their wings does that mean they are all roosters?

Back
Top Bottom