6x 10 week old chickens - please help me sex them

ChemKelly

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 29, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Hi, this is my second time raising unsexed chicks.

Breed: backyard layers, hybrids, cross, mutts (not sure what the term is) - all bred from my own adult mutts.

To me, the males seem to be the ones with the big red combs, but what confuses me is that they all seem to have long thin saddle feathers. Is that not a cockerel trait?
Therefore it seems like I have all males!

There are 6 chickens in the photos - all aged 10 weeks.

Cheers for your help!

https://plus.google.com/photos/1160...s/5970940199863199441?authkey=CJqt8Na8rImd4wE

Your right, they are all mutt roosters. Hybrids are what hatcheries make when they make sex links and such, but they too are mutts
big_smile.png
. Just know alot of people, including me, hatch out alot of roosters.

6 out of 6 are roosters! That's worse than my last batch that was 5 out of 6!
At least my knowledge/guessing was correct :)

Question 2 (while I'm here)
Should I wait another 8 weeks or so before slaughter, as to have a decent weight for eating?
Gamey-ness / toughness doesn't seem to be an issue with my roosters as I have a pressure cooker & good spicy cooking skills.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd guess they're all dudes without the detailed pics, just from the coloring and comb and wattle development, but those are all great help in pics!! How many did you have to take to get so many good ones?

If they're all getting along, not trying to kill each other or some hens, and the crowing isn't driving you nuts, I'd wait until closer to 18-20 weeks to butcher. The'll add a few pounds in that time and be better carcasses. In the meantime, anyone who just gets too annoying can go.

I love the pressure cooker, also! Don't seem to find a lot of folks here who use one, everyone's a slow cooker person.

I'd guess they're all dudes without the detailed pics, just from the coloring and comb and wattle development, but those are all great help in pics!! How many did you have to take to get so many good ones?

Yeah, I bet that photo shoot took a while!

I processed some roosters at about 20 weeks. They were slightly gamey and a little chewy. I recommend using them in a casserole or chicken salad not as fried chicken.

Back
Top Bottom