7 1/2 Month Old Plymouth Barred Rock Still Not Laying - Normal??

zephyr66

Songster
10 Years
Oct 5, 2009
Parthenon, Arkansas
I have a Plymuth Barred Rock who is about 7 1/2 months old and she still is not laying. She can't hide it as my hens are all in a large run. She eats good food and had oyster shell always available and no mites. My other birds are laying. Is it normal for a hen to go this long and still not lay? She is the biggest of all my 10 hens!

Sylvia

Some breeds just take longer to lay...I have a friend that has Barred Rocks and they didn't lay until about 7 months...my Cochins took about that long also. but when she starts she will be a good layer for you I am sure...just give her time.

I'd give her at least a few more months before I started to worry. One of mine didn't lay until over 10 months old. It happens.

Good luck.

I have three that are seven months old and have only gotten 1 pullet egg so far. They must be a little slow in developing, I also have a roo from the same hatch and he just tried to crow for the first time this morning. I'm sure they will start laying sooner or later I'm just spoiled my bo's were all laying at 6 1/2 months.

Dan

I read tons about ckns laying at 16 to 20 weeks.. I have different breeds (one BR) and none of my laid before 27 weeks..My BR was 34 weeks old, one of her sisters was 37 weeks old.. It will happen if she is healthy and mature... She is my egg laying machine! Laid all thru winter and even while molting..

I know this is an old post, but I am seeking an answer to a related Barred Rock issue. I have two Barred Rocks. They both started laying around 21 weeks. They both layed pretty steady for about a month. Then one quit laying, while the other has continued. From the one, I continue to get at least 5 eggs per week. From the other, I am lucky if I get one egg per month for the last two months. They both are happy and healthy looking. I am certain she is not laying eggs somewhere that I can't find them. They are now 7 months old. I'm confused why she started laying and stopped. Can I expect her to ever start up again, or is she always going to be a non-layer? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Back
Top Bottom