7-8 weeks old and fighting

Niki6s10

In the Brooder
Mar 30, 2020
I have 3 chicks that began fighting sometime today which resulted in wounds/bleeding. Can anything be done to prevent this?

If they have enough space- at least 3-6 SF or so, they will work it out. If they are cramped in say 1 sf or so, they may seriously injure each other.

They have an 8x8 coop and still fought when we let them in the run after we got home from work.

What kind of chicks? Most breeds will settle things among themselves, but there are some breeds where the males must be separated from each other.

How bad was the bleeding? What kind of injuries? Combs bleed a lot--it can appear that the bird is horribly injured, and by the next day there's just a tiny scab. Small comb injuries are not something to worry about.

Do they have things to do in the coop? I'm thinking of sod to peck at, compost to scratch through and eat, dust to scratch and dustbathe in, perches to jump/fly onto and off of adn sit on. They don't need the exact things I named, but chickens do like to stay busy, and searching for food is one of their favorite kinds of busy.

What kind of chicks? Most breeds will settle things among themselves, but there are some breeds where the males must be separated from each other.

How bad was the bleeding? What kind of injuries? Combs bleed a lot--it can appear that the bird is horribly injured, and by the next day there's just a tiny scab. Small comb injuries are not something to worry about.

Do they have things to do in the coop? I'm thinking of sod to peck at, compost to scratch through and eat, dust to scratch and dustbathe in, perches to jump/fly onto and off of adn sit on. They don't need the exact things I named, but chickens do like to stay busy, and searching for food is one of their favorite kinds of busy.
I added a swing, more compost dirt and veggie hanging from roof. Any other ideas?

I have 3 chicks that began fighting sometime today which resulted in wounds/bleeding. Can anything be done to prevent this?
My chicks started getting rowdy with each other before I moved them to the coop and I turned the brooder "Red" light back on and reduced their overhead light some. It seemed to calm them down.

Back
Top Bottom