7 day old chick wont stand on one leg

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Smallark, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Smallark

Smallark Hatching

Apr 1, 2018
    Picked up two one week old chicks the day before yesterday. One is not using his leg and chirping loudly often. What could be wrong?

Attached Files:

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi @Smallark :frow Welcome To BYC
    Does the leg have any swelling at the joints?
    In the photo - the side of the chick looks to be wet(?) - is there a discharge from that side of the chick or is she dirty?
    With chicks it's very hard to know what's going in when they have leg issues - could be number of things like dislocated hip, slipped tendon, injury or genetic/developmental disorder. If she is chirping constantly and loudly, then she is not comfortable and in pain - is she warm and eating/drinking?
    You may find some useful information in the following link https://sites.google.com/a/larsencreek.com/chicken-orthopedics/

3. Smallark

Smallark Hatching

Apr 1, 2018
    I do not see any swelling in the bad leg. I believe the chick is just dirty on that side since she falks ocasionally. I rinsed her off but that side is not as fluffy as the other. She is eating and drinking. I have a heating pad and a lamp and she stays in the warmer side. I’m wondering if I should make her leg brace?

Attached Files:

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Does she indicate pain when manipulating the leg?
    Can she put any weight on it?

It may be dislocated - but it's hard to know. You could try a brace to see if that helps.

5. Smallark

Smallark Hatching

Apr 1, 2018
    She doesn't seem to be in pain when I touch the leg. I am taking her to a vet this afternoon. Thank you SO much for your response!

Wyorp Rock likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: