7 days in with incubating eggs!! And some Q's!

Jakrzz

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 3, 2012
So as you can see In my other threads, i have had quite a difficult time with temperature spikes in my incubator, which made me believe that the 9 eggs I have in there would die! :(

BUT HOLY CRAP GUESS WHAT.

I decided 'hey why not check em' and I candled them at day 7 (today) and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM had blood veins in them! It's hard to see through the dark brown shells on some of my eggs but I definitely found them after a few attempts! And in my brown leghorn x barred rock egg I saw a heart beat!

One of my infertile cochin bantams (who is separate from the average hens and rooster) has been broody for the past four days! She sits there, staring into space, and sits on nothing! And she's stopped her egg laying since! (Which is what I hear is the true sign of broodiness) and boy is she feisty if you get near her :eek:

Could I put a couple of fertile eggs under her just to see if she'll hatch them?

And how do I put them under her without getting my arm chewed off? At night?

So as you can see In my other threads, i have had quite a difficult time with temperature spikes in my incubator, which made me believe that the 9 eggs I have in there would die!
sad.png

BUT HOLY CRAP GUESS WHAT.

I decided 'hey why not check em' and I candled them at day 7 (today) and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM had blood veins in them! It's hard to see through the dark brown shells on some of my eggs but I definitely found them after a few attempts! And in my brown leghorn x barred rock egg I saw a heart beat!

One of my infertile cochin bantams (who is separate from the average hens and rooster) has been broody for the past four days! She sits there, staring into space, and sits on nothing! And she's stopped her egg laying since! (Which is what I hear is the true sign of broodiness) and boy is she feisty if you get near her :eek:

Could I put a couple of fertile eggs under her just to see if she'll hatch them?

And how do I put them under her without getting my arm chewed off? At night?
If you want, I'd go ahead and put some eggs beneath her. But be prepared to rescue any chicks that hatch and brood them yourself if she is aggressive to them or abandons them after hatching. As for getting the eggs beneath her, trying at night is probably the best option. If necessary, grab her, move her from the nest, and then put her back after you've put the eggs in the nest. A good broody hen won't be disturbed by this.

If you want, I'd go ahead and put some eggs beneath her. But be prepared to rescue any chicks that hatch and brood them yourself if she is aggressive to them or abandons them after hatching. As for getting the eggs beneath her, trying at night is probably the best option. If necessary, grab her, move her from the nest, and then put her back after you've put the eggs in the nest. A good broody hen won't be disturbed by this.
I might just do that! And thank you! I might have to wear gloves!
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png

Back
Top Bottom