7 Missing Hens FOUND!!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mangled, Sep 12, 2008.

1. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, after counting the rest of my flock as gone for good after the pens were opened by the ATV morons on Sept. 3rd, I recovered 7 of my hens today.

There is a gentleman that lives on the other side of our land, through thick woods. He walks the big circle of our roads every day. I used see him once in a great while, but now that I'm down at the end of our lane every morning to get my girl on the bus, I see him a couple times a week.

As he was walking by this morning, he did the usual head nod and wave, and kept walking, then stopped and came back and asked if I happened to be missing any chickens. I was elated!! According to him, about a half dozen hens came out of his woods yesterday, and he couldn't get rid of them. I guess they got at his bird feeders and emptied them, LOL. His wife kept feeding them oats, and he said at the rate she was going, he'd never get rid of them. I thanked him, and told him I'd gladly come over and collect my stray hens.

After I got my girl on the bus, I went back up and got the car, scratch feed and dog crate, drove over, and sure enough, there are 7 of my girls, looking very rough, clucking away, eating the birdseed left on the ground.

I called them and they all came running. They were easy to catch once I threw the scratch grains down.

So, after almost 9 days missing, and after trekking through probably 2 1/2 miles of heavy woods, they came out alive and hungry on the other side!!

His wife was sad to see them go. I see chickens in their future, LOL. I told her we are always hatching out chicks in the warm season and told her I'd gladly give them a dozen or so chicks if they ever wanted them, and told her to stop by and get a dozen eggs for free next time she's needing them. They're nice folks.

Also got a decent amount of information on who the ATV kids are, so I'll be sending that handy bit of information to the Trooper who is in charge of our case. [​IMG]

When we got home, I opened the door and then opened the crate, and they all jumped out and high-tailed it up to the coop.

So, finally a change in luck (*knock on wood*). I'm happy to get at least some of my hens back

Em

2. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    I am so happy that you got your hens back!!!

3. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    wonderful! what a happy ending!
    maybe you could help them find some chickens of their own, since they were so great about it!

just glad it's all working out! God bless!

4. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    That is absolutly wonderful news! I am so glad you got some of your girls back! Luck is changing for you, feel it!

5. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Wow that is awesome news!!!!! Hooray!!!!! [​IMG]

6. ChickaD

ChickaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    central Vermont
    I'm so glad you and your 7 hens were reunited - who would have thought, after all that time!

7. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Oh, that IS good news!!!![​IMG]

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    That is wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

SO refreshing to hear that wonderful news!!! Thanks for letting us know so we can rejoice with you! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Thats a wonderful end to your story. Im so glad for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by