7 mo old CQ; Lethargic; Poopy butt; Wiped with warm cloth; Expelled clear jelly-type substance

Chicklette6678

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2023
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
7 month old Cinnamon Queen; Top of pecking order; 4-5 lbs normal weight

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Lethargic; Most vocal bird is now quiet; Sitting/standing on ground only (no roosting); Poopy butt- wiped with warm cloth; Immediately expelled clear jelly-type liquid (pic of on ground); Then she had clear sac hanging from her rear which was pulled out. She basically went into shock after and froze. Would move to hide from my pets. She is mouth breathing a little.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
This afternoon/evening

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No. Not yet. Fingers crossed.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
None

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Have let the flock out of run into the yard three times in the past few weeks. They only stay out for about a half hour. Switched to different feed brand about a month ago: Tucker Milling. In midst of weather change. SE US so 70 one day, 50 the next.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Ate and drank this morning. Water is changed daily. Nibbled on some cracked corn this morning, and meal worms during the expels. Nothing since isolation but close to bedtime when isolated. Tucker Milling layer pellets.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Poops have been fine. Regular visual checks for worms. Noticed earlier this week, there were some droppings which were thickly coated white and rock hard- not sure which bird. The poops softened when I sprayed with water.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Amoxicillin in waterer but she hasn't consumed it yet. Will add Tums to feed mash in the morning if suggested. Separated her and brought her into a kennel in the house.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Contacted mobile vet but no response. Hopefully mom can take her to "regular" vet in the morning since I have to work. Not sure what would be the most effective treatment to begin: amoxicillin or de-worming?

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
Pic of ground jelly is what shot out after I applied a wet cloth to her poopy butt. It actually shot out. The hanging jelly sac was a few minutes later.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Pine shavings in coop and run.

Usually all our birds are consistent daily layers. There has been one egg missing yesterday, and one today. Not sure which bird. Susan has skipped a day previously, then laid a massive egg next day. Figured the missing eggs were due to the coming winter.

Have read this thread which is why I'm inclined to think it's an unpassed egg. However, white in the ground dropping could be a worm. Tried to save the substances, but the other chicks were quick and vicious. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-chickens-butt-please-help-emergency.1558644/

Attachments

• susan_1.jpg
    susan_1.jpg
    466.1 KB · Views: 60
  • susan_2.jpg
    susan_2.jpg
    643.7 KB · Views: 12
It looks like some weird egg mass, possibly with some lash material inside. Hard to know though as I haven’t seen one like this before. I would offer some electrolytes or water with sugar. 1 tsp per cup and a tiny pinch of salt. Human calcium with vitamin D or a Tums given orally may help if it is a reproductive problem. When giving medicines such as amoxicillin it is best to give it orally.

Update in case anyone looks for further information: Sorry, there was no conclusive diagnosis. Separated her from flock and there were a few loose stools overnight. She perked up by morning: scratching in the cage and back to her peeping self. Her appetite and water intake in the morning was normal- she ate both pellets and some pellet mash. Below is a pic of her poop before she visited the vet. Nothing popped on fecal test, and vet said she looked gassy on x-ray. No diagnosis. Flock will receive Albon for 5 days, panacur once, then repeated in 2 weeks, and Susan will receive an additional anti-inflammatory daily.

I wish there was something more helpful.

Attachments

• susan_3.jpg
    susan_3.jpg
    552.2 KB · Views: 6
It looks like some weird egg mass, possibly with some lash material inside. Hard to know though as I haven’t seen one like this before. I would offer some electrolytes or water with sugar. 1 tsp per cup and a tiny pinch of salt. Human calcium with vitamin D or a Tums given orally may help if it is a reproductive problem. When giving medicines such as amoxicillin it is best to give it orally.
Ty for your reply! Had my first experience, just now, giving them oral medication and it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be.

Updating again in case someone is looking for answers in the future: According to a similar pic posted on reddit, looks like the morning poop could be a "
It's a poopless poop. Only urates in that poop. It can be a sign that someone is not feeling well, either that or someone forgot to eat before they went to bed and had nothing left in their system in the morning. Or, depending what hemisphere you're in, someone is molting and probably feels like utter shit right now.

Just means you need to keep an eye out and see if someone starts acting sick."

Susan is back to her usual whiny, pecking, and joyous self. :)

Back
Top Bottom