Hen acting lethargic, drinking lots of water

bigmamathechicken

In the Brooder
Sep 15, 2023
My two-year-old lavender Orpington hen, Crystal, has been acting odd since yesterday. She seems to be about a normal weight.
She is acting lethargic, and has been since yesterday. She is walking slowly, and she kept closing her eyes yesterday, like she was falling asleep. She has also been drinking lots of water. Yesterday, we saw some of it spill over from her beak. She also expelled a clear liquid from her behind yesterday, rather than normal chicken poop. In fact, I haven’t seen her poop normally since yesterday. Her wattles and comb look a bit paler than normal.
My other hen, Big Mama, has not exhibited any of these symptoms. She is lively as ever.
I have no idea what could have caused this. She seemed fine the day before.
We currently have her “in quarantine”, so that if whatever she has is transmissible, she doesn’t pass it to Big Mama.

Could it be internal parasite infection? Is her abdomen below her vent swollen? No mites or lice?
We have found now that she weighs much less than we thought. Her keel is very exposed. It could be parasitic infection. However, I didn‘t see any swollen parts around the abdomen below her vent.

Do you have any de-worming medicine on hand? No harm in trying.

Is it possible she could be egg bound? You could try giving her some calcium citrate with D3 to see if that helps. Probably choose which condition is more likely, and try treating that first. No abdominal swelling is a good sign.

Did you see any lice or mites on her?

I would check the crop to see if it is filling up normally during the day, and empty by morning. If not she may have a crop disorder. Examine the lower belly under the vent to see if it has any enlargement or fluid.

Back
Top Bottom