Lethargic chicken drinking lots of water

Chickeemariee

In the Brooder
Jul 26, 2023
I went out to check on the girls this morning and noticed my Wyandotte acting funny. She was in the nesting box but came out and started drinking a concerning amount of water. I threw some mealworms in and she had no interest in them which is a huge red flag. I went back in my house and came back out and she was in another nesting box (no eggs have been laid but she laid one yesterday) I examined her vent and there was a tiny bit of white around it and seemed a tad swollen between the legs. She doesn’t normally let me handle her so I don’t have a concrete understanding of her “normal” but the fact she’s letting me pick her up is also concerning. She pooped a super watery poop but it was on top of another poop so I couldn’t see all the details aside from it being watery. Her crop is full and squishy but I don’t know if that’s from drinking a ton of water this morning or she woke up with it. Can’t seem to smell foul smelling breath and nothing comes out of the beak when I massage her crop. I’m stumped and don’t know how to go about treating her. Other two hens seem totally normal.

I soaked her in warm epsome bath for 20mins and then isolated her and very shortly after she had this poop. Everything seems to point egg bound but now I’m confused since I found worms and full red poop. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_6216.jpeg
    IMG_6216.jpeg
    652.7 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_6219.jpeg
    IMG_6219.jpeg
    479.7 KB · Views: 61
I went out to check on the girls this morning and noticed my Wyandotte acting funny. She was in the nesting box but came out and started drinking a concerning amount of water. I threw some mealworms in and she had no interest in them which is a huge red flag. I went back in my house and came back out and she was in another nesting box (no eggs have been laid but she laid one yesterday) I examined her vent and there was a tiny bit of white around it and seemed a tad swollen between the legs. She doesn’t normally let me handle her so I don’t have a concrete understanding of her “normal” but the fact she’s letting me pick her up is also concerning. She pooped a super watery poop but it was on top of another poop so I couldn’t see all the details aside from it being watery. Her crop is full and squishy but I don’t know if that’s from drinking a ton of water this morning or she woke up with it. Can’t seem to smell foul smelling breath and nothing comes out of the beak when I massage her crop. I’m stumped and don’t know how to go about treating her. Other two hens seem totally normal.
My chicken was drinking a ton of water. She died a few days later. Fatty Liver Syndrome look it up on poultrydvm

I soaked her in warm epsome bath for 20mins and then isolated her and very shortly after she had this poop. Everything seems to point egg bound but now I’m confused since I found worms and full red poop. Any suggestions?
Drinking a lot of water points to her trying to clear the crop, she's in and out of the nesting box, that can point to needing to expel an egg, the poop looks to have Tapeworm (@dawg53 @Eggcessive can you guys have a look). Did you see the worms or material moving?

I'd let her drink and eat as normal, work on symptoms. Give her 600mg Calcium Citrate which can help if she's having trouble expelling an egg, deworm - if those are Tapeworms, then you'll want to treat with Praziquantel. If they aren't, then you'll want to use Safeguard or Valbazen.

Praziquantel dosing is found HERE.

To treat most worms that poultry can have except for Tapeworm - Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.
--OR--
Valbazen dose is 0.08ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.

Understand that several symptoms can seem confusing and unrelated, but very often a hen that is having trouble with an egg can also have a crop problem. Worms can be a contributor to overall decline.

How to treat the crop.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Drinking a lot of water points to her trying to clear the crop, she's in and out of the nesting box, that can point to needing to expel an egg, the poop looks to have Tapeworm (@dawg53 @Eggcessive can you guys have a look). Did you see the worms or material moving?

I'd let her drink and eat as normal, work on symptoms. Give her 600mg Calcium Citrate which can help if she's having trouble expelling an egg, deworm - if those are Tapeworms, then you'll want to treat with Praziquantel. If they aren't, then you'll want to use Safeguard or Valbazen.

Praziquantel dosing is found HERE.

To treat most worms that poultry can have except for Tapeworm - Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.
--OR--
Valbazen dose is 0.08ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.

Understand that several symptoms can seem confusing and unrelated, but very often a hen that is having trouble with an egg can also have a crop problem. Worms can be a contributor to overall decline.

How to treat the crop.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
This was so helpful thank you so much. I had no idea safeguard didn’t treat tapeworms as I had used that for them previously but always noticed them coming back. Do you still eat the eggs when treating with praziquantel?

Right below her vent is so swollen, I have soaked her twice in warm epsom salt baths today for 20 min increments gently massaging the area but it seems to have just swollen more. I’m hoping for the best in the morning but preparing for the worst :(

It would be best to go ahead and treat her with Equimax equine paste containing praziquantel. I saw what I thought was segmented tapeworm in the photo but I couldnt tell if it was flat in shape, which would actually be a tapeworm. Wait 14 days after using the Equimax paste before eating the eggs.
Please post a photo of swelling below her vent. You might be dealing with Fly Strike.

Back
Top Bottom