7 month old Columbian Wyandotte-rooster or hen?

Some don't crow much. Is he mating the girls?

I’m not sure. It’s been pretty cold here lately so I haven’t spent much time outside other than to give them fresh food and water. And I’ve noticed coyote tracks around the yard so we haven’t been letting them out of the coop either.

Also, his feathering doesn’t look like the Columbian Wyandotte roosters on google images. (Pic attached). It’s a little different than our hen but not as “fancy” as the roosters I see online.
Is it possible it’s a hen?

Attachments

• 5E6C849B-E913-4506-85BF-32A3EF14239A.png
    5E6C849B-E913-4506-85BF-32A3EF14239A.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 12
I’m not sure. It’s been pretty cold here lately so I haven’t spent much time outside other than to give them fresh food and water. And I’ve noticed coyote tracks around the yard so we haven’t been letting them out of the coop either.
Also, his feathering doesn’t look like the Columbian Wyandotte roosters on google images. (Pic attached). It’s a little different than our hen but not as “fancy” as the roosters I see online.
Is it possible it’s a hen?

Are your girls laying eggs? When you break them open you could always look to see if they are fertilized, this will tell you if he's "active".

I don't believe he's a hen. You first photos of this thread, says cockerel. The last photos still look like a rooster to me. I agree, he is not as "fancy" as the images you pulled up, but a lot of that depends on the line, breeding, etc. Where they came from and what may be in their "past". Some of the photos that you will find will be the "best of the best" meaning they are show birds or someone has spent a lot of time working on getting the comb/feathers/body type, etc. just right.
His comb is a little different than the hens as well, not quite a typical rose comb, but I still think he is handsome.
Has he gone through a mini-molt - do you notice if he's got a bunch of new feather growth coming in?

upload_2019-2-18_12-22-39.jpeg

Are your girls laying eggs? When you break them open you could always look to see if they are fertilized, this will tell you if he's "active".

I don't believe he's a hen. You first photos of this thread, says cockerel. The last photos still look like a rooster to me. I agree, he is not as "fancy" as the images you pulled up, but a lot of that depends on the line, breeding, etc. Where they came from and what may be in their "past". Some of the photos that you will find will be the "best of the best" meaning they are show birds or someone has spent a lot of time working on getting the comb/feathers/body type, etc. just right.
His comb is a little different than the hens as well, not quite a typical rose comb, but I still think he is handsome.
Has he gone through a mini-molt - do you notice if he's got a bunch of new feather growth coming in?

View attachment 1677496

Yes, I did notice that there are new feathers coming in. And your explanation as to why he’s not as fancy as the photos online makes a lot of sense. Thank you!

His comb and wattle have only gotten big in the last month. It seems like it has been growing overnight lately! Up until then, there was not a noticeable difference between the two.

I cracked open a few eggs. Do any look fertilized? The bottom one looks different than the other two but this is new to me.

Attachments

• DE4D12CD-D52B-4C2C-8134-E4BB1B8D3324.jpeg
    DE4D12CD-D52B-4C2C-8134-E4BB1B8D3324.jpeg
    146.1 KB · Views: 12
So this bird is 11 months old? It doesn't quite look like a rooster to me. I see no saddle or hackle feathers. :confused: Looks somewhere in between sexes.

Yep! Just checked my photos. We got them from the local feed store on March 23rd last year and they were hatched March 21st. Here’s a pic from the day we got them.

Attachments

• 16EE9403-6FEA-4FD0-BDE9-8CBD7BC20C53.png
    16EE9403-6FEA-4FD0-BDE9-8CBD7BC20C53.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
Hello!
We got some chicks from the local feed store in March. All were supposed to be pullets. We got 2 Columbian Wyandottes and 1 Barred Rock.
They are 7 months old now and only the Barred Rock is laying.
I am outside watching them because we just moved them into the larger coop with the rest of our chickens and I wanted to see how they’re getting along. I noticed the one in question trying to mount the barred rock. Then I noticed the feathers seem to be different and there is a point at the back of its comb.
All this has me wondering if we may have a rooster. We haven’t heard any crowing and haven’t suspected this at all.
Anyways, here are some pics. The one I am wondering about is on the right in the pictures where two of them are shown.
Is it possible for a rooster to not crow yet at 7 months of age?
Thank you!
That’s a really handsome cockerel. :love

I have not had a Columbian, so maybe they are different. This is a gold laced Wyandotte rooster at 8 months and he has very obvious saddle feathers.

I have not had a Columbian, so maybe they are different. This is a gold laced Wyandotte rooster at 8 months and he has very obvious saddle feathers.

View attachment 1677538

He is beautiful!
I completely agree with you on mine not completely looking like a rooster. But he definitely looks different than the other one which is definitely a hen. Maybe I just have a very late bloomer!

Back
Top Bottom