7 month old Rhode Island Reds ( 7 hens ) Stopped laying! PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Chickproblems77

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 11, 2012
I have 7 Rhode Island Red hens and 1 rooster. There feeding is fine and it is not a pest getting the eggs. I have not seen an egg in 3 weeks. I live in southern indiana. For about a month in a half i have had my ducks in the same coop (only at night), they get along great, but could the ducks have an effect on the chickens lay?? For the past 4 nights I have kept the ducks out...they have not started laying, but could it take a little time to start back up? About a month ago I fed them some patatoes...... I wash out the coop every day now(i just spray it out because its a tile floor) I also keep up on food and water. they started laying about 2 and a half months ago and then 3 weeks ago the production came to a complete stop! They are soo sweet still, even the rooster! Please Help!!!:)

Autumn. We're deep into autumn and the days are now shorter than the nights. While having ducks as guests and then the ducks leave may be somewhat upsetting, my guess is that the lack of daylight has caught up with your flock. It is unusual for first year pullets to make a complete stop, but try a little pre-dawn light therapy and see if your laying doesn't return. If it does, within 5 days, you'll know that your birds are sensitive to the long darkness that is setting in. Or, just wait. It's a choice.

Last edited:
Thanks! i am a first timer so i think ill let it go for about a week and then try the light.....Thanks agan! .....if you or anyone else know anything else that could help, please comment!

Mine started moulting with the cooler weather, autumn is the time when they start...see any feathers around, I could sell them at our home...Ha. It will get better, patience....feed more protein to help them get over the moult..

Mine just stopped suddenly also, they were hatched in January and I didn't expect them to just stop. Mine aren't doing a heavy moult or anything either, maybe just a feather here and there. I am guessing it is the light also so I am going to put a light on a timer next week.

Back
Top Bottom