7 Months and No Eggs

ehhh, other than pearl leghorns, all chickens really take a brake. I know what you mean but i think all your birds will do that eventtually...its a bad time of year for hens. Summer is when you want to see whos layin, but winter laying would factor in as well, but you should wait until spring for that decesion to me made.

I've got 7 month old girls, some going on 8, and same issue here. Only one egg. And nothing for the last 6 days. I'm obsessed with checking nests!

Seriously, only the PR hen is even interested in the nestboxes it seems. And no one is sqautting. My roo is only interested in the PR as well, so I guess that means she's the only one who's ready. I am doing the same things as the original poster. I guess we just got the late bloomers.

Quote:
I've had both in the nesting boxes for over a month now.
hmm.png

I'm brand new here and really appreciate this site as this thread in particular. I feel so much better now. I'd given up on my girls laying before spring.

I have 3 leghorns who have been laying for months, then I picked up 5 pullets a few months ago. Gave them time to grow up and be on friendly terms with the others, and I still wait. 1 SLW, 2 NHR and 2 BO.

Haven't seen any squatting from the 5 newer ones, and they'll all between 24-28 wk old. We range them during the day and lock them in a chicken tractor at night and feed them layer ration and kitchen scraps. Oh, and we've got golf balls in the nest boxes.

Could someone explain why confining them might help?

Thanks!
Jill

Of my 4 girls (all between 6 & 7 months old) only my Barred Rock has started laying, and she is a regular 6 egg a week gal. 2 of the others have bright red combs, but have not started squatting yet. . . the youngest is still "pink" in the comb, so I know it will be awhile for her. I check for squatting behavior daily, that seems to be the most reliable key to readiness.

Thanks. They "range" in our rather large, fenced-in backyard. I check all around the bushes, etc for eggs and nothing so far. Thanks. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't another reason besides that one.

Back
Top Bottom