7 Months Old and NO MORE EGGS!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Popcorn Mcgee, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Popcorn Mcgee

Popcorn Mcgee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2012
    My three 7 month old hens have all stopped laying within a two week time span. I cleaned the coop, cleaned water and food dishes out and disinfected them. I also have been adding extra protein,(worms), and we have added a light to make up for the loss of day light. They are all looking great and acting healthy. There has been no changes in their life other than the change in weather, Ohio weather. We've gone from two eggs a day, (our Golden Buff laid everyday like clock work, and our Cochin and Buff Brahma alternated laying every other day), to NO EGGS. What is going on? These are our first chickens and I want to make sure that I'm doing everything on my end that I can. Any suggestions?

2. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    are they molting?...do u see more feathers around the coop? even if they dont look to be losing feathers, they could still be molting.

3. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    My thought all so they could be molting. They could be taking a break for the winter and start back up in the spring

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

If you are trying a light, you might make sure it is on a timer for a total of 14 hours of daylight...you might add some of the daylight in the morning and some in the evening.

5. Popcorn Mcgee

Mar 26, 2012
    They aren't losing feathers. Are there any other signs of molting?

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Check to make sure they don't have mites or lice. That can affect laying, as can having worms.

7. Popcorn Mcgee

Mar 26, 2012
    How do I check for these things? Where do I look and what am I looking for? Also, how do I treat these sorts of things?

8. Sunshine0235

Sunshine0235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Lebanon Ohio
    Not to be thread stealing, but my seven months olds did the same two weeks ago, I also live in Ohio. We were getting about seven a day, now maybe one if we are lucky from our 1.5 year old EE. Don't know why. I checked for lice and mite, nothing. I also added a light, 14 hours. Still nothing. I guess I'm in the same boat as you.

For lice and mites you check the bald spots under the wings I believe.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  9. Popcorn Mcgee

Mar 26, 2012
    Okay, thanks for the info. I'm going to work them over real well tomorrow for mites, lice, molting signs, etc. Thanks again.

10. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Have you given the light at least 2 weeks to work?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by