7 week buff Orpington gender

svan26

In the Brooder
Mar 14, 2015
Connecticut
We received 2 buff Orpington chicks at 4 weeks and were told they were girls.
Fast forward a few weeks and I'm concerned one or both are Roos. We have sex linked and marans who's combs didn't do anything until they were much older.
Hoping for some expert opinions. Thank you!

It is hard to tell this young. However, Young cockerels grow larger combs and wattles than the hens. The combs and wattles are a KEY factor in telling the gender especially for your guys' chicks. But, as I'm looking at these pictures, both these chicks have small combs, and their feathering is that of a pullet. They do not seem to be growing sickles, hackles ,or saddles yet. The Buff Orpington hens do not have lustrous feathers like the male orps. So, I believe you do indeed, have two young pullets.

It is early another 2-3 weeks could change the status quo - but, they have the sweetest expressions - so at this moment, I am calling them pullets.

X3

Our Buff O hens feathered out faster than the boys with the exception of one rooster who did everything faster than the two who were definitely roosters. They also developed combs and wattles by the time they were 8 weeks old.

I think you have two lovely little pullets there.

Back
Top Bottom