7 Week Old Pekin with Crooked Neck -bent downwards always

Rhadiante

In the Brooder
Jun 11, 2017
Hello, I am new to Backyard Chickens and have been coming across a lot of great information after researching health issues from my ducklings who are now about 6 or 7 weeks old. I found Lucy May 12th on her back in the coop and she was unable to walk or hold her head up. She would often arch backwards and spasm. I would find her on her back most mornings, poor girl. I fed her B vitamins and electrolytes with a pipette and gave her watered down chick starter with nutritional yeast and spirulina. After about a week she was able to waddle but would lose her balance and often fall backwards. I did not notice her head being so off to one side until last week. It became very apparent. She has probably doubled in size in the last 30 days and her wing feathers are just coming in. I had a friend who has both chickens and ducks with a large farm check her out and he does not think this is Wry neck but a structural issue. Has anyone in this forum seen anything similar and were you able to correct the problem? I am now giving her selenium with vitamin E and also boiled tea from Turmeric and Rooibos. She is getting pecked on by the rest of the flock, i am concerned the Indian Runners could poke her eyes out so i am keeping her seperate. She wants to be with the flock badly. Any advice would be appreciated. I am a newbie.

Attachments

• lucy.JPG
    lucy.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Hi there & welcome to BYC!

It would be very helpful if you could post a video. Is that picture how she usually looks?

What do you give her for daily feed? What has her environment been like?

I don't really know what it could be. I'll tag some people that are much more knowledgeable about ducks. Hopefully they'll stop by with some insight. The questions I asked might help them narrow down the possible issue. Good luck!!

@casportpony
@Ravynscroft
@Pyxis
@WVduckchick
@Amiga

She's very cute! I hate to see one being picked on for being different.

First, I have no experience with this condition, so I'm just tossing out thoughts. I don't think its wry neck.

Have you have had them since they were babies? Do you think maybe you just didn't notice it before, or it was her neck definitely not like that, prior to finding her on her back? Could she have fallen from any height, or maybe got trampled by the others? Or something dropped on her?

Can her neck straighten out with your assistance? I mean gently, if you help her, or does it seem stuck firm in that position? Maybe some massage therapy would help?

Does she get to swim? Swimming and diving may also be therapeutic, with supervision of course.

Best of luck for her. She seems like a real trooper!

If eating, drinking, and has normal looking poop, probably *not* duck viral hepatitis. :)
Ok, thank you. I was under the impression that it was a deficiency. Two out of 19 developed this, and one male passed away after 2 weeks.

She's very cute! I hate to see one being picked on for being different.

First, I have no experience with this condition, so I'm just tossing out thoughts. I don't think its wry neck.

Have you have had them since they were babies? Do you think maybe you just didn't notice it before, or it was her neck definitely not like that, prior to finding her on her back? Could she have fallen from any height, or maybe got trampled by the others? Or something dropped on her?

Can her neck straighten out with your assistance? I mean gently, if you help her, or does it seem stuck firm in that position? Maybe some massage therapy would help?

Does she get to swim? Swimming and diving may also be therapeutic, with supervision of course.

Best of luck for her. She seems like a real trooper!
Thank you very much for responding. I am going to take her to an vet chiropractor to see if they can help. I thought maybe so many nights that she turned over on her back may have done some damage.
She does swim just fine and has the spirit of a warrior.

Back
Top Bottom