7 Week Old Roo with Floppy Comb

MgnRose

Songster
Jun 16, 2019
Portland, Oregon
Hi, chicken lovers! This question may seem silly, but as I have no experience with roosters or large combed breeds, I must ask- do combs have the potential to stand up with age.

I have a 8 week old Azure Egger rooster from Alchemist Farms. His genetic makeup is Cream Legbar, Welsummer, and “Sage Egger” (who’s genetic background is not addressed). He started trying to crow at four weeks old, which is quite early. He is also developing a large, flopped over comb. I am wondering if his comb will start to straighten with age? I assume not and that it’s part of his genetic heritage, but I must ask since I plan on hatching the eggs his offspring (my hens are LOs, BCMs, and CLBs).

Either way, I adore him and unless his personality makes a total shift during puberty, I will be keeping him- he just won’t be part of the breeding program unless his comb straightens up.

It remains to be seen if his little comb perks up when he reaches puberty. Hormones do often affect the degree of comb erectness.
Excellent! Thank you so much for your response. Since hormones change so much, I’m hoping his comb perks up and he maintains his trusting, sweet disposition. We shall see 😂😂

One of my roos combs flopped and never stood up. But he has great temperament so I kept him as a pet.
Pics: at 9 wks and now. But yeah, his comb never straightened up.
IMG_20210701_193207898.jpg
20211222_092208.jpg

I hate floppy combs and have several of them right now; even a hen with a flopping comb. It's really depressing. I suspect genetics, but also wonder if it could be nutritional. Could too much fat in the diet or something like that cause it?

I hate floppy combs and have several of them right now; even a hen with a flopping comb. It's really depressing. I suspect genetics, but also wonder if it could be nutritional. Could too much fat in the diet or something like that cause it?View attachment 3028631
Nutrition is very important for all things and my barnyard mix flock were all on a complete starter grower up until the first egg appeared, around 18 wks. I was given this flock from a kindergarten hatching project. They all came from the same owners flock and 2 roos and 3 hens have floppy combs So I'm thinking its a trait somewhere in their mixed gene pool,

Back
Top Bottom