70* nights outside

karabeth05

In the Brooder
Jun 3, 2020
What age can chicks sleep in the coop with 70* nights without a heat source? Days are mid-high 90s and they've been spending their days in the run (with a roof/under the coop) this past week. I let them stay out until dusk and they're usually settled down and snuggled up but then I bring them inside and put them under the light so it just kinda seems counter intuitive. I have 8 EEs, in case that makes a difference. Thanks :)

Attachments

• chicks.JPG
    chicks.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:
What makes a difference is how many chicks are there. Normally, in summer with those temps, I'd say they are relatively safe by 3.5 weeks if there are at least 6 birds.

Ah ok, that makes sense. There are 8 (updated my original post too) and I've noticed in the evenings they all cuddle up together. Thank you for the advice.

My Chicks were dealing with 68F temperatures since I got them because they had a heating pad. They stopped using it around 2 1/2 weeks and were fine in 60 degree weather outside. It depends on the breed too.

I would say if they are a standard heritage breed with medium feather growth around 3 weeks they would be fine.

If they have a hanging heater, and enough room to move around to go in and out of the heat, they can be out in a chicken house. My chicks are 10 days old, and in an un-insulated, un-heated shed. I like to keep remote temperature sensors there so that I do not have to go out to check them so often. Last night, 65 outside the hanging heater, 75 under the heater.
IMG_4635.JPG
The heater is 150 watt reptile heater, no light.

Back
Top Bottom