7th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2016 Hatch-A-Long

Wow...!!! I am offline for a few days taking care of some stuff and the forum explodes! 700 posts to catch up on... and counting. LOL! Someone want to catch me up (the shortened version, lol).

Oh, I put 4 duck eggs in last week. I think I timed it right. 28 day hatch would put them hatching out sometime New Year's Day(unless my Muscovy drake snuck a little Pekin tail). This is my first bunch of mixed ducklings. I was hatching pure pekins but I got a few new (colorful) drakes this past spring and they are finally getting down to business.

Still working on getting some chicken eggs (soon, I hope). I am overflowing in backyard mixed eggs(15 set for mid-month hatch), but I am getting some pure eggs possibly some bantams as well. I am heading to the farm possibly Wednesday so I should have them in plenty of time.

In the meantime, I would like to introduce Lemon and Gracie. The two newest additions to the chaos that in my home. (DH just spoils me, lol. He is such an enabler, lol!)

Nice!

Wow...!!! I am offline for a few days taking care of some stuff and the forum explodes! 700 posts to catch up on... and counting. LOL! Someone want to catch me up (the shortened version, lol).

Oh, I put 4 duck eggs in last week. I think I timed it right. 28 day hatch would put them hatching out sometime New Year's Day(unless my Muscovy drake snuck a little Pekin tail). This is my first bunch of mixed ducklings. I was hatching pure pekins but I got a few new (colorful) drakes this past spring and they are finally getting down to business.

Still working on getting some chicken eggs (soon, I hope). I am overflowing in backyard mixed eggs(15 set for mid-month hatch), but I am getting some pure eggs possibly some bantams as well. I am heading to the farm possibly Wednesday so I should have them in plenty of time.

In the meantime, I would like to introduce Lemon and Gracie. The two newest additions to the chaos that in my home. (DH just spoils me, lol. He is such an enabler, lol!)
Are they male and female? If so you should start a cockatail hatch along

I just candled an egg. I am pretty darn sure I saw veining! :celebrate :oops: Sorry. I'll be quiet. :duc
:celebrate That reminds me, I need to go candle my eggs that are due next week. :D
That REMINDS you?! How do you forget to candle your eggs nineteen times a day?
Only because I have been too busy today checking the OTHER incubator that has chicks hatching in it. :jumpy :lol:
Nope. I don't get it. :-D
MC? step away from the bator! I haven't even set my silkie eggs yet, and you are making me crazy to candle mine! :lau
Seriously!
Are you guys saying that I'm too anxious? Me? Nooooo! Never!

So how do you join?
@RubyNala97 I knew it!!
yesss.gif

@Sally Sunshine I just noticed on the BYC home page that you are currently the top/most active poster on BYC, coming in at #1
clap.gif
and again... thanks for noticin I talk too much cp!!
th.gif
I cut it in half and still got it again!!!!
th.gif

Hi everyone! Count me in!
I'll be initially setting chicken eggs from my own flock. I didn't have good fertility with my test hatch last month so I'm working on getting some shipped eggs as well. I'm waiting on word from a breeder, and if her hens are laying well enough they will ship them mid-week.

My flock's eggs will be SLW roo over EE's, barred rocks and/or black sex-links. Those are going in my Brinsea mini Eco. Saving the Hovabator for the shipped eggs since there will be more of those. :)
J&T is in THE HOUSE!!!!
hugs.gif
took you long enough!!
lau.gif

love.gif
So cute! Here are some of mine:
Frizzled Sizzle...

Smooth Sizzle...

Frilkies (frizzled Silkies)...

Regular Silkie...

smile.png
MUST HAVE THIS SILKIE
love.gif
I am in love!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My day-old chicks are loving their Sweeter Heater... and so am I!!! I would never, ever use a heat lamp over combustible material. That's just asking for trouble!!!

love.gif
lovely little stinkers arent they? where is SS did you loose track Joey
hugs.gif
@Ur-ur-ur-urrr

I'm not sure I can wait much longer. I am collecting an egg every day (or every 2 days) in order to do the hatch along. But I'm debating just starting to do staggered hatches every 5 days... Set a few eggs, collect for the next 5 days, then set what i collect, wait another 5 days, set what i collect, etc....

I'm getting impatient.... just 3 (and a half) more days...
this is why I hate HALS with exact set dates.... and like them somewhat flex dated.... its better for the embryos better hatch rates, and hate a few of the contests associated with them that are unfair and easily fudged. just sayin... But I am first for the chicks and then for the fun.. believe it or not.....

tumblr_lvfk8k49o21r16ywno1_500.gif

SET THE EGGS, its better for them!!

I would NEVER hold off setting my eggs for a contest!!

Last edited:
I'm not sure I can wait much longer. I am collecting an egg every day (or every 2 days) in order to do the hatch along. But I'm debating just starting to do staggered hatches every 5 days... Set a few eggs, collect for the next 5 days, then set what i collect, wait another 5 days, set what i collect, etc.... I'm getting impatient.... just 3 (and a half) more days...
That's how I feel!! :gig
:lau I'm a sucker for hatching! But I have two people wanting chicks, so I found an excuse! Plus, this is the first time I have eggs in my backyard. Kinda hard to resist setting free eggs!

Back
Top Bottom