7th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2016 Hatch-A-Long

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by ronott1, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Wickedchicken6

Wickedchicken6 No Rest For The WicKed Premium Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Southwestern MB, Canada
    I just saw video of eggs developing from a turner. They look like they develop differently...more from the top going down the egg. Is that correct?

2. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    I was just saying that to a friend tonight as I showed her while I candled. They don't develop differently, but it shows shows the eggs stuff different when in a turner versus them being laid down. Easier to see ... I think, when they have been laying down. But, I could see movement, these are around 8 days, would have to look, so of course could see movement pretty good. Had to toss a quitter though. :(

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  3. Wickedchicken6

Nov 7, 2015
    Southwestern MB, Canada
    Yep, that's a better way to say what I was trying to ask..lol. When I saw the video of the eggs from an egg turner...I was wondering what was wrong with the eggs. Apparently...nothing. [​IMG] I'd only seen the embryonic development in eggs that were laying down. Thank you. [​IMG]

That's unfortunate about your quitter. [​IMG]

4. whysoserious

whysoserious New Egg

Dec 1, 2015
    Hey here's a petition that needs signatures it supports the 2nd amendment
    Please go check it out http://wh.gov/ivbz

5. whysoserious

whysoserious New Egg

Dec 1, 2015
    Hey here's a petition that needs signatures it supports the 2nd amendment
    Please go check it out http://wh.gov/ivbzc

6. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Eggs from a turner show development.

This is a video of one:

[​IMG]

7. Wickedchicken6

Nov 7, 2015
    Southwestern MB, Canada

Yep, that's it. It looks like the embryonic development is "raining down" inside the egg...lol.

8. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Yes, that's how they look ron, that's a good video. I, do not candle them from that end though. I turn them to the big end..and they still look like that. I can see the air cells pretty good on them when I turn them to the big end. Hmm, which reminds me! I need to start adding more water, those air cells were looking great, right about where I want them!

9. venymae

venymae Prairie Wind

Aug 18, 2014
    Manhappiness, Kansas
    My Coop
    Makes you question if they even knew what they were talking about when they told you the breed right?!? Sorry about that, it really makes one upset! [​IMG]

Your bator should regulate the temp, it will just have to turn on more if your house is cool. Try to locate it in a warm section away from drafts.

As long as you test your incubator before putting your eggs in to make sure it's holding temperature well, and have a calibrated thermometer, you only have to mess with them to turn them. Since you are busy, turn them in the morning before work, and then at night after. Marking one side of the egg 'X' and the other 'O' will help you keep track of which ones you've turned.
    A hen leaves the nest for ~30min each day so removing the lid to turn the eggs will be fine, even if it causes a temperature drop.

You will need to candle your eggs on day 7, 14 & 18 to make sure the air cells are growing at the proper rate and adjust the amount of humidity in your bator as necessary. Day 18 you increase the humidity a lot and don't open it again till day 22 and all your chick are hatched! Other than that you can pretty much leave it alone.

SYNOPSIS:
    Turn twice a day. Candle day 7, 14, 18. to mark aircells. Increase humidity day 18 to 70%. Day 22 take chicks out. TADA!

1 person likes this.
  10. TJChickens

TJChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2014
    East of San Diego
    Thanks Local. [​IMG]

So glad they made it okay. It's such a luck of the draw thing......

Are you entering the longest distance for shipped eggs contest? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by