7th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2016 Hatch-A-Long

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by ronott1, Nov 10, 2015.

1. daxigait

daxigait Overrun With Chickens

Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    @Sally SunshineYou discussed heating and stuff for your eggs. Do you need to do something with room temperature eggs before putting them in the incubator? How clean do they need to be?

2. daxigait

Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    In an old still air like mine how do I put the thermometer in so it is at the right height?

3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    just room temp sweets, I dont wash mine, how dirty are they? if they arent bad dont worry about them, they have a protective covering on them and you dont want to wash that off if you can help it.

4. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Hatching Eggs 101

Choose eggs that are of good size, not abnormally big or small. Do NOT set dirty, cracked, or porous eggs.
    Clinical studies at the University of Arkansas have shown that if your going to set a dirty egg, set the dirty egg, DO NOT SAND, WASH OR WIPE dirty eggs as hatchability decreases with these practices!

Cuticula is the thin membrane that covers the whole eggshell that is made from the sticky fluid when laid which covers it and quickly dissolves due to carbondioxyde activity.
    This membrane can be penetrated by gasses but functions as a kind defensive mechanism to prevent the entry of bacteria.

The washing and rubbing action also serves to force disease organisms through the pores of the shell. Place the eggs upright in an egg carton with the FAT, air cell end of the egg UP! Allow eggs to sit in a moderately cool, somewhat humid place for storage. Basements are great. Moderately cool means 55-65 degrees. Rotate your eggs a 3 times a day to keep the embryo from sticking. An easy way to turn all of the eggs at once is to place a thick book under one end of the carton, and later remove the book and put it under the other end of the carton, 3 times a day. Before adding eggs to the incubator always WARM eggs UP slowly to room temperature. IF THE EGGS ARE COLD Condensation can cause bacterial growth on the eggs! You can collect eggs up until 10 days or so, but after the 7th day lower hatch rates may result.

Stored eggs take longer to hatch (about one hour per day of storage).

It is important to ALWAYS wash your hands before handling your hatching eggs!

Omphalitis, yolk sack infection is caused by a bacterium that enters through the porous egg shell and easily kills embryo's and newly hatched chicks. Unfortunately, incubation conditions are ideal for breeding bacteria as well as incubating eggs. For more information on storing eggs refer to Recommendations for hatching egg handling and storage

Egg Cleaning Procedures
    for the Backyard Flock

[​IMG]

http://food.unl.edu/documents/EggCleaning.pdf

note Tek-Trol Disinfectant Cleaner Concentrate is a better bleach alternative!

1 person likes this.
  5. TheGonzo

TheGonzo Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2015
    Denmark
    This is such a great idea!
    Wish I had some chicken eggs To put in the bator tonight so I could join you all.

Next year I will!

6. daxigait

Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    They are not really dirty, a couple have some goo/poo spots but not much. I change the box shavings. If I use a carton in the Bator, should I cut the bottom of like the one posted last night? Are they better off just laying in it? Some people say to keep them from touching. Is that important?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  7. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    if they are fresh eggs not shipped your better off layin them and turning them, or rollin gently and turn them as much as you can, the 3x a day is a minimum a hen turns from 20-50 times a day. If you keep them upright,, yes cut out the bottoms to keep the air flow around them, and dont use a paper carton, it will hold bacteria and suck up moisture as well. touching eggs aint important! in fact during lockdown I suggest it! a hen aint out there keeping her eggs apart yellin at um [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  8. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Howdy @TheGonzo where you been? go find some eggs quick!!!

1 person likes this.
  9. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    mornin Ron [​IMG] I see you there, I be get to gettin now [​IMG] be back later! have a great day y'all

10. daxigait

Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    where are you? I have plenty. SW Missouri

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by