7th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2016 Hatch-A-Long

GAAA! I just started collecting a couple eggs to hatch so I thought I'd drop in here and see when this started. Can't believe the set date is tomorrow! Count me in! I guess I'm just going to have to hatch a couple mixes too just to make sure I have more than 3 or 4 eggs to set lol
highfive.gif
yesss.gif
bun.gif

Ok so I don't remember if I posted here about my shipped eggs... NOT HAPPY ABOUT THEM! They sent one extra, which is Great... But all of them Where COVERED in poop. I don't clean my nesting box as much as I should, but this is BAD. I might try sand paper to get most of it off. The shipping job was terrible. It was a single layer of like this foam-y sheet stuff lining the box. nothing else. the eggs themselves where wrapped in one paper towel then put in a egg carton. the egg carton was loose in the box, with just the layer of foam:eek: I just Really hope the seller isn't on BYC. Sorry I just needed to rant
Do you have any pictures of how they were packaged? I try just rubbing dirty eggs with a dry paper towel. Where did you buy the eggs from?
I haven't caught up yet since I've been home from work.. Say, did you candle tonight??
Wow! That's cool how you can candle the whole tray at one time!!
I read the 101, I am just trying to figure out what has to be, and what people do. It seems to me that there is a basic level and those who do a ton and spend lots of time with the eggs and Bator.
Just make sure your incubator is stable and calibrate a thermometer and hygrometer. Once everything is running and reading properly, it's smooth sailing (and lots of waiting) till hatch time.
I ordered a six dollar candler, but it just looks like a flashlight to me.
I think the small LED flashlights work best. The actual "candler" I bought was the worst and I returned it.
On another note: I GOT MY EGGS TODAY!!! They are pretty brown eggs, a couple beautifully speckled:love The rooster is young still (~7months), so this is a first round test for him. If they develop, the chicks should be olive eggers! Yippie!!!:ya Candled them and marked air cells. They are a bit porous but I am still happy! There are too many for the Mini so these will be going into Uglybator tomorrow! :weee
So you mark air cells before you set? Is this to measure how much they grow by day 7?

Candled my duckies today. Saw veins in almost every one!!
wee.gif
Heres me homemade candler form an old candle holder.

This is what holds the flashlight in there.

Water wiggler!! (dirty bater) don't judge, it's been neglected. Now it's stained. I bleached it. Styrofoam don't scrub good.

terrible pics, I know.

Heres a better one.

This ones probly not good, but I'm keeping it anyway.. for now.

Air cells !

Time to put the lid on and put these babies back to bed
pop.gif

Easier if upright in cartons/Turner
I wouldn't worry about taking the lid off
I know others have said 15 min cooling per day resulted in stronger healthier more vibrant chicks
Yes, it is much easier to cantle them from the top and not remove them from an egg turner or carton.

Less likely to drop one too....it makes me sad when and egg is dropped.

GAAA! I just started collecting a couple eggs to hatch so I thought I'd drop in here and see when this started. Can't believe the set date is tomorrow! Count me in! I guess I'm just going to have to hatch a couple mixes too just to make sure I have more than 3 or 4 eggs to set lol
You can hold off a day or two and set. They will still count!

Welcome, I have added you to the members list.

Candled my duckies today. Saw veins in almost every one!!
wee.gif
Heres me homemade candler form an old candle holder.

This is what holds the flashlight in there.

Water wiggler!! (dirty bater) don't judge, it's been neglected. Now it's stained. I bleached it. Styrofoam don't scrub good.

terrible pics, I know.

Heres a better one.

This ones probly not good, but I'm keeping it anyway.. for now.

Air cells !

Time to put the lid on and put these babies back to bed
pop.gif
You are going to have a great hatch!

I prefer to pick mine up, I've dropped my flashlight onto the turner several times, denting several in the process. To each their own, I guess :)

I can't wait to set eggs tomorrow! I've got 10 Silkie/Sizzle eggs collected as of now. I'm hoping for 2 more so I can at least have a full dozen :fl

I prefer to pick mine up, I've dropped my flashlight onto the turner several times, denting several in the process. To each their own, I guess
smile.png

I can't wait to set eggs tomorrow! I've got 10 Silkie/Sizzle eggs collected as of now. I'm hoping for 2 more so I can at least have a full dozen
fl.gif

x2 took out a ton of eggs doing that

On another note: I GOT MY EGGS TODAY!!! They are pretty brown eggs, a couple beautifully speckled
love.gif
The rooster is young still (~7months), so this is a first round test for him. If they develop, the chicks should be olive eggers! Yippie!!!
ya.gif
Candled them and marked air cells. They are a bit porous but I am still happy! There are too many for the Mini so these will be going into Uglybator tomorrow!
wee.gif

All right, we get to see the ugly bator again!
hump_day_camel_whoot_whoot_flexi_magnet-r69aeab3f3e344a84b602949720618ddc_adgu2_8byvr_1024.jpg

Back
Top Bottom