7th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2016 Hatch-A-Long

Okay, So I think I'm in. I am experimenting with an old Lyon bator that someone gave me. My everyday favorite bator that lives on my counter full time has eggs in it until this weekend.
I actually have shipped eggs coming.
barnie.gif
Cause I wanted some of their bloodlines, (Serama). I thought that they would be here by now, but they haven't shipped them yet. Maybe Saturday.
Is that too late for the HAL? I guess I could put a few of my own eggs in on the 11th. I was going to add them anyways.

my shipped eggs started heating last night, with my own legbar on the second shelf, the wacked air cells are in the green reg cooler with the cots on solitary confinement, my serama are ready to head into the regular coolers, bring it on!!

Nice Sally!

if they are fresh eggs not shipped your better off layin them and turning them, or rollin gently and turn them as much as you can, the 3x a day is a minimum a hen turns from 20-50 times a day. If you keep them upright,, yes cut out the bottoms to keep the air flow around them, and dont use a paper carton, it will hold bacteria and suck up moisture as well. touching eggs aint important! in fact during lockdown I suggest it! a hen aint out there keeping her eggs apart yellin at um
lau.gif
Ok, this one is new to me? What? If they are fresh eggs, best if they are on their sides?

GAAA! I just started collecting a couple eggs to hatch so I thought I'd drop in here and see when this started. Can't believe the set date is tomorrow! Count me in! I guess I'm just going to have to hatch a couple mixes too just to make sure I have more than 3 or 4 eggs to set lol

Well then, we sure are glad you dropped in!!

Ok, this one is new to me? What? If they are fresh eggs, best if they are on their sides?
Usually, you would not notice the difference--Use the method that is best for you.

We have not said this much yet, but the most important thing to work on is keeping temperature in a tight range, .5 of a degree from 99.5, internal egg temperature. How this works is different depending on the type and make of incubator used.

Temperature, temperature temperature.....temperature.

Candled my duckies today. Saw veins in almost every one!!
wee.gif
Heres me homemade candler form an old candle holder.

This is what holds the flashlight in there.

Water wiggler!! (dirty bater) don't judge, it's been neglected. Now it's stained. I bleached it. Styrofoam don't scrub good.

terrible pics, I know.

Heres a better one.

This ones probly not good, but I'm keeping it anyway.. for now.

Air cells !

Time to put the lid on and put these babies back to bed
pop.gif
You are using the same bator that I am, I just bought this 1588. Had another, sold it, it was beeping at me all the time. Yes, I said beeping Sally, you may not ask what it was beeping at me. I felt like it was being a stinker always telling me my humidity was too low..I like it low in the beginning. Ya know!

why would you want the embryo to float to to air cell of the egg to grow if you can prevent it? a hen doesnt sit her eggs upright. just sayin... research it... Hatcheries incubate upright out of turning necessity. again think out of the box... we are not commercial hatcheries, I like to hand turn my eggs if I can, this time I have too may so they go in the big cabinet cooler. I wont have as good of hatch rates as I do in the others where I lay them flat. is it because of the bators or the positions and the fact that the membrane may not close on the bottoms of some of the eggs?? IDK probably a combanation of things... You have to do what is convenient for you, and what works FOR YOU! if you have something that WORKS DO IT! Just keep in mind that you can possibly improve in little ways, doing small things,,,,, keep an open mind, always try to think outside the box, sometimes what we learn from others may not be the whole story, just part of it, sometimes its not right for us but right for someone else in a different condition!

Last edited:
Guess what date I lived all day yesterday?????!!!!!!????

I thought it was the 10th!

I got my eggs, planned on setting them this morning. Now, I'm wondering if they will be ok to set tomorrow...will have to ask her how old the oldest eggs are, she gave me 18.

And now, I'm wondering if I should set my FRESH eggs, on their sides. What?

I gotta run.... sorry I always have to post so much food for thought.... I dont want to do that all the time, its just that I have put much time into study, reading and incubating. No debates, not pushing anything, just posting my thoughts and what I have in my head and whats at our fingertips! kids need lunch and nappys..

Guess what date I lived all day yesterday?????!!!!!!????

I thought it was the 10th!

I got my eggs, planned on setting them this morning. Now, I'm wondering if they will be ok to set tomorrow...will have to ask her how old the oldest eggs are, she gave me 18.

And now, I'm wondering if I should set my FRESH eggs, on their sides. What?
Set them today and set them any way you want--they will be fine!

Back
Top Bottom