7th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2016 Hatch-A-Long

Got the incubator all set up and warmed up and ready to go for tomorrow. Picked out a couple rhodebar eggs to throw in with my Marans. That way, even if they're mixed, they should be sex linked lol.

I am back from walking to the local Whole Foods Store where I purchased two dozen packages of brown fertile eggs!

So far this hatch a long has cost me $8.00!

I hope I get my moneys worth.

lau.gif
I spend roughly $100 a week on feed and just set 12 eggs (mine usually take an extra day to hatch) which is about 3 days worth right now. I am sure hoping I get my moneys worth, too!
lol.png

I candle 24 hrs. later.
hide.gif
That hiding is because not too many folks realize you can see if there is a big round dot floating around in there, and they will think I am crazy. You need to turn the egg very slowly. I've done this for yrs. now. I can tell by seeing if there are big dots in there started. Then, day two and three, you can't see anything usually. Sometimes on day two you can still see the big dot, but I leave them alone after the first day until day 7.
I do the same thing.
highfive.gif
hide.gif
Since I am usually doing staggered hatches, there are usually older eggs in with the newly set ones. So when I candle, I do them all.

I'm all ready to go. Incubator is already incubating a quail egg, but I don't think it's fertile. I'll candle again this evening before tossing it. I was hoping to hatch it out on Christmas eve (oh well).

My bators are set up and ready to go too! Tomorrow I'm setting a few from my own flock and I have 2 sets of shipped eggs supposed to arrive Saturday
1f604.png
Can't wait to get them!

Back
Top Bottom