7th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2016 Hatch-A-Long

When I get my hydrometer and thermometer do I need one with or without the wire?
You can get one like this:

http://incubatorwarehouse.com/incubator-thermometer-hygrometer.html

incuthermfinal.jpg

They sell another one for bit more that goes outside the incubator.

Cool! I ended up setting mine to. I figured it was better to set them and not let them get any older. I didn't set the cracked one though because I didn't have enough room in the bator

That is cool... I had two cracked ones, but my friend Accually suggested paper mache for fixing the crack, My rooster that she hatched, The one in My avatar. So if they don't hatch its not a big deal

That is cool... I had two cracked ones, but my friend Accually suggested paper mache for fixing the crack, My rooster that she hatched, The one in My avatar. So if they don't hatch its not a big deal

I get it. You might have another survivor then.

This is my first attempt at hatching eggs.  I have a still air incubator with a fan.  With NO WATER in the thing, the humidity is at 36%.  I live in an inland valley in Southern California - it's DRY HERE!!!  How do I get the humidity level down? It has stayed steady at 36% for the past 2 weeks.  Will a 36% humidity hurt them?   Is there any way to lower the ambient humidity?

Thanks!!!!

What breed are you hatching? 36% should be fine. You'll need to monitor your air cells and if they are growing to big to fast, add a little water.

I am back from walking to the local Whole Foods Store where I purchased two dozen packages of brown fertile eggs!

So far this hatch a long has cost me $8.00!

I hope I get my moneys worth.

:lau

That is so cool!
You may want to smack my patties..(hands)  when I tell you what I do.

I candle 24 hrs. later.  :oops:     That hiding is because not too many folks realize you can see if there is a big round dot floating around in there, and they will think I am crazy.  You need to turn the egg very slowly.  I've done this for yrs. now.  I can tell by seeing if there are big dots in there started.  Then, day two and three, you can't see anything usually.  Sometimes on day two you can still see the big dot, but I leave them alone after the first day until day 7. 

I'm not sure if my eggs are fertile. My cockerel just started mating a few weeks ago. So I'm going to try this! Thanks! I'm not poking for any veining, just a big dot? How big?

Yes, Two days before and two days after--Do what is best for the eggs to hatch!

Oh really?? Maybe I'll set mine tonight then. They are getting kinda old. And if I get any in the morning, I'll just squeeze them in.

What breed are you hatching? 36% should be fine. You'll need to monitor your air cells and if they are growing to big to fast, add a little water.
That is so cool!
I'm not sure if my eggs are fertile. My cockerel just started mating a few weeks ago. So I'm going to try this! Thanks! I'm not poking for any veining, just a big dot? How big?
Oh really?? Maybe I'll set mine tonight then. They are getting kinda old. And if I get any in the morning, I'll just squeeze them in.
Yes, if they are getting old set them now!

That is so cool!
I'm hatching Silkies, and like you, my rooster started going after the hens a few weeks before they laid their first egg. I have 4 hens and 1 roo. We got our first egg about 3 weeks ago. We've been getting 1 or 2 eggs a day. I'm hoping a few of them are fertile!!! Good luck with yours!

Back
Top Bottom