7th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2016 Hatch-A-Long

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by ronott1, Nov 10, 2015.

1. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    I bet you will have a better hatch this year!
    Did you save the link with parts that I posted? If not let me know and I will find it for you. I think it was a Sears site and they sold the parts.

@daxigait

2. generaldsherman

generaldsherman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2015
    Idaho
    Try calling your local county extension. Maybe they've got one you can borrow?

3. daxigait

daxigait Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    @Sally Sunshinesorry to bother you again, but do you think it is the element, and do you know what I could get and where to replace it? Like building a coolerbator one?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  4. daxigait

daxigait Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    @ronott1 I have it, but a lot are unavailable or would take too long. I know they had wafers, but I am not sure about the heating element. Thanks
    I checked and they wanted 54 dollars. I can buy a new one for close to that or a bunch of chicks;)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  5. simplestupid

simplestupid Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2015
    Nice DIY bator! Best of luck

6. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    You can use a volt ohm meter to check if power is getting to the element. If it is, then the element is bad.

One thing to do would be to verify that the connections are tight and that no wires are broken. They can sometimes break inside the insulation.

7. rj122

rj122 Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2015
    Washington State
    38 eggs going! I have had chickens for several years, but this is my very first attempt at hatching! Finished finalizing adjustments on my homemade incubator about 1am last night. Temp is set at 100 with a 1 degree differential, humidity is running about 45/50. I read through this site and used all the amazing information to guide me in the assembly of my incubator. I used 2" 2x4 Foam Boards from Homedepot, cut them on a table saw and used a hot glue gun to built the box. Purchased thermostat and auto turner off amazon along with a few other parts. I hope it works!!

Most of the eggs I collected are Americana's and Buff Brahmas, I have two coops, one with an Americana Rooster and Americana hens along with a few RIR, so the blue eggs I know are from my American Hens and American Rooster, and the Brown eggs are a mix from the RIR and my American Rooster. The Brahma rooster and hens I keep in an entirely different coop, because don't want to mix my Brahmas.

I labeled my eggs by date I collected (started 7 days prior to today)- Breed - and number collected. 5-B-1 is one a Brahma eggs collected on the 5th of December and 5-B-2 is the second Brahma egg collected on December 5th. I don't know if there is a typical way of labeling eggs, if there is, please share. I wanted to be able to document the hate rate and breed by collection date. Let the learning curve begin!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. simplestupid

simplestupid Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2015
    Did you try Incubator Warehouse they have all kinds of parts and one year warranty.

9. rj122

rj122 Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2015
    Washington State
    Guess which egg my grandson is watching, although I hope "Leonardo" is a hen!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. bamadude

bamadude Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    Awesome ninja turtle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by