7th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2016 Hatch-A-Long

I doubt it; my styro-bator is stained too

It looks fine!

They get a lot more stained over time. Bleaching takes care of the bacteria so you should be fine.

Make sure the holes at the bottom are open--and not blocked by stuff on the dresser.

Happy hatching!

I guess I was just worried since the stains weren't there when I set it up on the 9th. The holes are clear. Thanks for the help and for calming my worries. I'm off to get more eggs now to fill it. Hooray!

Does anyone know which part I need to replace? I have an old Brower 11400-3. Yesterday I turned it on and it heated to 101. I adjusted the temp thing and went to bed. This morning the light was still on but it was not heating. It was down to 80, and nothing felt warm. I could move the temp setting up and down, and it would click the light on and off, but nothing was generating heat.

Does anyone know which part I need to replace? I have an old Brower 11400-3. Yesterday I turned it on and it heated to 101. I adjusted the temp thing and went to bed. This morning the light was still on but it was not heating. It was down to 80, and nothing felt warm. I could move the temp setting up and down, and it would click the light on and off, but nothing was generating heat.
If you cannot get it working, check with your local 4-H office---They usually will have an incubator that you can use.

did you give it an hour or two to adjust? You should have temp at 102 for still air.

Last night it was just a bit low after four hours so I bumped it up a bit and went to bed. When I got up it was down to 80 with the light on, but nothing felt warm. I could move it down and the light went off and up and it came on, but forty minutes later nothing felt warm the light was on, and it was two degrees cooler.

did you give it an hour or two to adjust? You should have temp at 102 for still air.
That's at the top of the egg.

High temp is much more damaging than low.

Thanks for the info! I have been thinking about using some of the under-floor heating for the floor of the brooder and then using a heating plate above. I didn't read the whole article yet, but will later. Do you have a cage around the heating ceramic fixtures so the chicks can't touch it and get burned?

No I don't put a guard around it. They're pretty smart. If they did get close, they would be too hot and move away. When kids burn their fingers on the stove, they don't touch it any more.

Last night it was just a bit low after four hours so I bumped it up a bit and went to bed. When I got up it was down to 80 with the light on, but nothing felt warm. I could move it down and the light went off and up and it came on, but forty minutes later nothing felt warm the light was on, and it was two degrees cooler.
Bummer: ( I'm guessing if the light still comes on its the heating element, but I really don't know.. I'm just guessing.

I am setting eggs today!!!! I went and picked up 18 silkie eggs and I have 3 Serama eggs. I can't wait for New Years babies!! Last year my shipped eggs were a bust :(
best of luck to you. My poor eggs may stay just that now.
Now I have the opposite problem of gonzo who has a working Bator and no eggs.

Back
Top Bottom