7th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2016 Hatch-A-Long

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by ronott1, Nov 10, 2015.

1. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    My DW heard a bird chirping and asked if I had chicks hatching. I did not but that was so funny!

1 person likes this.
  2. wornoutmomto3

wornoutmomto3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2014
    Florida
    My Coop

Absolutely!! Some DH's just don't understand chicken math (at least mine doesn't, lol)! My DH just shakes his head and sighs when I insist that 30 adult chickens in the yard 14 chicks in the brooder and 2 sets of eggs (totaling 37) in the incubator aren't enough. Add to that 15 quail, 7 ducks, 3 Muscovy, 2 goats, 5 dogs, and 5 cats and you have a mini circus. Lol! Oh, I forgot to add the two new cockatiels (given to me by my DH, "the enabler." LOL!)

UPDATE:
    Sorry all, I forgot to post how many I set for this hatch-a-long. 21 chicken (4 BCM, 3 Splash Maran, 1 Millie d'uccle, 1 gold necked d'uccle(would have been two but I broke one), and 12 backyard mixes) 4 ducks (all turned out infertile and were tossed. :barnie I am going to have to have a chat with my drakes.)

I did have a couple quail chicks hatch. It was a terrible hatch. Set 15, tossed 10, only 2 (so far) hatched. On the bright side here is a dose of adorableness.
    [​IMG]

3. CGilbert

CGilbert Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2015
    Spirit Lake, ID

My DH has that same reaction. But we only have 14 chickens, two of which are getting butchered by Christmas. And 1 dog, and 1 snake. Really not as much of a zoo as what we have planned for a year from now: a cow or two and some mules

4. darkbluespace

darkbluespace Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Portland Oregon

Funny : )

My neighbors think every bird they hear must be one of mine. There are a lot of loud birds in the woods that have nothing to do with me!

5. generaldsherman

generaldsherman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2015
    Idaho
    I might have one, too. She was sitting on the nest this evening and was upset when I tried to mess with her. If she is, may give her 2 eggs from the bator so she gets over it.

I thought I was bad ;)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  6. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Weekends are really hard for me to stay active on BYC. But I'll be back full force this week. I'm at 48 hours. Candled the eggs but couldn't see anything yet. Will try again tomorrow night. I'm hoping they are fertile. And I'm collecting more eggs already!!

7. canadachickens

canadachickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2014
    Manitoba, Canada
    My DW has given up on the chicken math! 16 in the coop, 18 in the barn, 8 in the brooder, 1 1/2 ( one hatched, one pipped) in the hatcher, and another 30 or so in the bator! All she wants to know is if she will have enough eggs for her customers (addicts?) at work so she doesn't have to fight them off when she brings in eggs [​IMG]

8. wornoutmomto3

wornoutmomto3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2014
    Florida
    My Coop
    We need to butcher 12 of the 30 adults are roosters. I free range my flock on 5 open acres. So, having so many boys allows the girls to spread out more when foraging. Although, I am sizing up a few for a delicious broth this winter. A nice hot chicken soup on a cold day is a good thing.

9. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop

I have 3 Cockerels to process tomorrow.

I hope I get to them.

10. Jessimom

Jessimom Cats Rule Dogs Drool

Aug 21, 2009
    Southern California
    It's really sad, but I can NOT eat something I've raised...lol I admire those of you that can..... I eat chicken that I buy at the store, I just can't kill MY chickens. It drives my family nuts. Are there any others like me? I have various feed stores that are willing to take my roo's. I'm sure they eventually get sold for food, but I can't be the one killing them..

I've tried telling the family that any time I leave for the weekend, they can do what they want, but so far they haven't taken advantage.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by