7th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2016 Hatch-A-Long

Quote:
I have considered pigeons, but DH and I both agree we just aren't prepared for that bird species.
Also, I may have slipped two more quail eggs in just a few minutes ago. That makes 15. hehehe

Envious of those of you that cancandle and see in your eggs!

Today is day 8 here and it is driving me nuts.

Same here. I have several Maran eggs this go around and they are just to dark to see anything. I am a bit concerned with these because they arrived exceptionally dirty this go round, and won't be able to see anything until nearly lock down.

I do have a few duck eggs (not part of this HAL) that I am try to hatch. Only problem is the fertility has been 0% thus far. I have caught one of my drakes "in the act" so I am holding out hope of fertile eggs this go round, but I won't know anything for a few more days.

I have considered pigeons, but DH and I both agree we just aren't prepared for that bird species.
Also, I may have slipped two more quail eggs in just a few minutes ago. That makes 15. hehehe

Same here. I have several Maran eggs this go around and they are just to dark to see anything. I am a bit concerned with these because they arrived exceptionally dirty this go round, and won't be able to see anything until nearly lock down.

I do have a few duck eggs (not part of this HAL) that I am try to hatch. Only problem is the fertility has been 0% thus far. I have caught one of my drakes "in the act" so I am holding out hope of fertile eggs this go round, but I won't know anything for a few more days.

It's my Isbar eggs I can't see through...The darkest, prettiest one, naturally

My pigeons are doing pretty well sitting on their egg for first time parents, but it's mostly the male who is sitting, the female needs to learn to stay on the nest :he

I haven't paid much attention to my pigeons for awhile. I try to keep them from hatching their eggs because I get too many pigeons. I believe the males do all the setting during the day and the females take the night shift with some trading off during the day. I had a male pigeon, who didn't have a mate, and he snuck a silkie chicken egg and hatched it all by himself! This summer, a couple even tried to sit on pea hen eggs! They are serious broodies!

Quote:
Isn't that how it always is? I have a hen who lays these beautiful olive green eggs. They are so dark you can't see through them even before incubating. I have a couple in this hatch and some in the hatcher right now for a previous hatch. I never know if they are even developing at all until after the hatch is over.

I haven't paid much attention to my pigeons for awhile. I try to keep them from hatching their eggs because I get too many pigeons. I believe the males do all the setting during the day and the females take the night shift with some trading off during the day. I had a male pigeon, who didn't have a mate, and he snuck a silkie chicken egg and hatched it all by himself! This summer, a couple even tried to sit on pea hen eggs! They are serious broodies!

Are you serious?? What a good dad! That's a great story! What happened when it hatched?

Back
Top Bottom