7th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2016 Hatch-A-Long

Ok, may seem like a dumb question, asked somewhere else, that thread is so busy, I may not be able to find the answer when I go back. lol... Anyway, some of you know that I am not allowed roosters where I live. But, I have found, I can keep them for a while, until the crow gets too loud. In the meantime the two that I kept for a while this summer actually fertilized some eggs for me. Now, my RIR is 6 months old. I saw him chasing the girls around the last couple of days. But, guess what I saw today? Ey? Yep, and when he went after her, I watched to see if he knew what he was doing. He sure did! I was glad it was a girl that is laying, but she only laid her second egg this morning. Anyway..wondering too, how long before the egg is fertilized, if..he is able to fertilize. Sure looks like he can, but I've heard that just because they start mating, doesn't mean they are. My last two sure did. I know what a fertilized egg looks like, so I could open one in a couple of days I guess. Just wondered why he isn't crowing, but mating? Sure made some funny noises after he did tough.
tongue.png
I know he will eventually. But who knows? Maybe I'll finally be able to keep, ... a .. non.. crowing rooster! Whoot! I have a leghorn, so... a leghorn plus a RIR, and he's a beautiful Heratige, will make some great laying hens for me..and I was wanting Trader Joes...
roll.png
Ha..still would get them if I could. :)

I pulled my last clear, the blue. I still have six though, I have an extra tan one, so 6/6.

Darn blue egg had a thick shell and could not see inside, but it wasn't developing so I gave it to the cat.

Ok, may seem like a dumb question, asked somewhere else, that thread is so busy, I may not be able to find the answer when I go back. lol... Anyway, some of you know that I am not allowed roosters where I live. But, I have found, I can keep them for a while, until the crow gets too loud. In the meantime the two that I kept for a while this summer actually fertilized some eggs for me. Now, my RIR is 6 months old. I saw him chasing the girls around the last couple of days. But, guess what I saw today? Ey? Yep, and when he went after her, I watched to see if he knew what he was doing. He sure did! I was glad it was a girl that is laying, but she only laid her second egg this morning. Anyway..wondering too, how long before the egg is fertilized, if..he is able to fertilize. Sure looks like he can, but I've heard that just because they start mating, doesn't mean they are. My last two sure did. I know what a fertilized egg looks like, so I could open one in a couple of days I guess. Just wondered why he isn't crowing, but mating? Sure made some funny noises after he did tough.
tongue.png
I know he will eventually. But who knows? Maybe I'll finally be able to keep, ... a .. non.. crowing rooster! Whoot! I have a leghorn, so... a leghorn plus a RIR, and he's a beautiful Heratige, will make some great laying hens for me..and I was wanting Trader Joes...
roll.png
Ha..still would get them if I could. :)
It all goes along with the egg laying cycle. The egg is fertilized towards the first of the cycle so the ovum develops for about 24 hours before it is laid--which is why we see the doughnut of a fertile egg. The egg then suspends until it gets back up to incubating temperatures.

IF he mated with her successfully yesterday, the eggs should start being fertile tomorrow or the next day.

Collect the eggs for 5 days or so and then:

Last edited:
look for a more yellow light. blue and white are reflected by the egg shell so the color is very important.(I think Bama learned that from me--I started posting that a couple of years ago).

There was another poultry study about it.

Correct. You have taught me so many things Ron.

Looks like I will be out of the contest. My shipped eggs didn't arrive in time to make the settting window. I set them yesterday on the 15th. 8 Buff Orpingtons, 10 Australorps, and 6 Easter Eggers. Still can't wait for them to hatch.

We made a battery powered wireless sensor that monitors and logs the ambient temp and relative humidity in the incubator. We post the data to the web.

The link is: https://thingspeak.com/channels/60674 It also texts and tweets me if the temp and/or humidity changes to drastically from expected values. Which is an awesome feature to have since I work throughout the day.

Last edited:
Looks like I will be out of the contest. My shipped eggs didn't arrive in time to make the settting window. I set them yesterday on the 15th. 8 Buff Orpingtons, 10 Australorps, and 6 Easter Eggers. Still can't wait for them to hatch.

We made a battery powered wireless sensor that monitors and logs the ambient temp and relative humidity in the incubator. We post the data to the web.

The link is: https://thingspeak.com/channels/60674 It also texts and tweets me if the temp and/or humidity changes to drastically from expected values. Which is an awesome feature to have since I work throughout the day.

I'm sorry your eggs didn't make it in time, but good luck with your hatch!

Very interesting on the wireless sensor. I have debated putting one of mine from the weather station in my incubator, but it takes up too much room. Care to share how you made yours?
big_smile.png

Do your hatches usually come early?

Back
Top Bottom