7th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2016 Hatch-A-Long

look for a more yellow light. blue and white are reflected by the egg shell so the color is very important.(I think Bama learned that from me--I started posting that a couple of years ago).

There was another poultry study about it.

Darn. Just got a Cree 600 lumen led and it's definitely a bright bluish-white light. I tried it out and spot check candled a few and wasn't able to see much more than I could with my cheap-o little 8 lumen led
1f644.png
Granted, it's early- day 5 on brown eggs, but I can't tell you whether they are clears or not. (I usually don't bother candling until day 7-10). So- what is a good yellowish light that you have good results with?

Anyone have any tips on successfully incubating eggs with detached air cells? My speed eggs arrived today and the air cells are all awful. They were packaged great but I'm guessing with all the holiday shipping going on, they were rushed and shoved through and not treated too well on the way here.
There is a thread for them: diary of a detached air cell by Sally.

This is one time when the eggs need to be in cartons at first and then an egg turner or in the cartons tilted.

Try:

Incubate them as soon as they are at room temperature
Leave them in a carton or egg turner left straight big end up for a day or two. Check the air cells after one day to see if they are attached.
Turn them as gently as possible after that.

They need to be in cut down egg cartons or hatching trays at lockdown. The air cells need to be marked to see where the chick pips. If the chick pips way below the air cell you need to make sure it has not pipped into liquid and will die.

Read the assisted hatching guide too.

Detached air cells are rough to hatch. Most places say that a 25% hatch rate is good for them. Hopefully you do not have too many of them that are detached. Saddle air cells are not as bad because the egg is not as damaged with them.

fl.gif
I hope the make it!

Darn. Just got a Cree 600 lumen led and it's definitely a bright bluish-white light. I tried it out and spot check candled a few and wasn't able to see much more than I could with my cheap-o little 8 lumen led
1f644.png
Granted, it's early- day 5 on brown eggs, but I can't tell you whether they are clears or not. (I usually don't bother candling until day 7-10). So- what is a good yellowish light that you have good results with?
I use a brinsea high intensity candler.

That is what I used for the candling picture in my avatar--That is blue egg and hard to see into.

Im already down to a dozen as i took out all my sex link eggs as they all were terrible with the egg pores some looked already dead others didnt look fertile. I also took out my wyandotte egg as it just wasnt fertile shes a new hen so i expected that. Im down to the dozen I got from a person near me.

There is a thread for them: diary of a detached air cell by Sally.

This is one time when the eggs need to be in cartons at first and then an egg turner or in the cartons tilted.

Try:

Incubate them as soon as they are at room temperature
Leave them in a carton or egg turner left straight big end up for a day or two. Check the air cells after one day to see if they are attached.
Turn them as gently as possible after that.

They need to be in cut down egg cartons or hatching trays at lockdown. The air cells need to be marked to see where the chick pips. If the chick pips way below the air cell you need to make sure it has not pipped into liquid and will die.

Read the assisted hatching guide too.

Detached air cells are rough to hatch. Most places say that a 25% hatch rate is good for them. Hopefully you do not have too many of them that are detached. Saddle air cells are not as bad because the egg is not as damaged with them.

:fl  I hope the make it!

Thank you :) I've hatched many with the saddle air cells but these ones are completely loose and rolling all around the egg. I'm going to let them rest until tomorrow and will throw them in the bator, around the sides of my auto turner, upright for 2 days before putting them in the turner. They will go in a carton, upright for lockdown and hatching. That's the plan anyway. Hopefully it works and I get a couple to hatch out. I want sure if there was any extra info that i didn't know yet to try. Wish me luck!

Thank you
smile.png
I've hatched many with the saddle air cells but these ones are completely loose and rolling all around the egg. I'm going to let them rest until tomorrow and will throw them in the bator, around the sides of my auto turner, upright for 2 days before putting them in the turner. They will go in a carton, upright for lockdown and hatching. That's the plan anyway. Hopefully it works and I get a couple to hatch out. I want sure if there was any extra info that i didn't know yet to try. Wish me luck!
Good luck!
fl.gif
jumpy.gif
fl.gif

Some people swear by the "Worlds brighest flashlight" app for their phones. I have never tried it

I use a brinsea high intensity candler.

That is what I used for the candling picture in my avatar--That is  blue egg and hard to see into.

I did the same as @bamadude and have the Ozark flashlight from Wal-Mart. Being in a black room really makes a difference.

Thanks everyone I'll check all 3 of these out! Ive got some really dark Marans eggs this time too (along with regular brown, green, and some that are a weird brown/olive-y tint) so I've got to find something that works.

It all goes along with the egg laying cycle. The egg is fertilized towards the first of the cycle so the ovum develops for about 24 hours before it is laid--which is why we see the doughnut of a fertile egg. The egg then suspends until it gets back up to incubating temperatures.

IF he mated with her successfully yesterday, the eggs should start being fertile tomorrow or the next day.

Collect the eggs for 5 days or so and then:

I opened her egg today, I answered my own question! Yes! He can fertilize her without crowing..lol...it was fertile, the leghorn's wasn't. I saw him mate her this morning, but must have been getting her before now! She laid day before yesterday, then today. I am pretty sure that egg was fertile, like I said, I've had roosters for a short short time, but have seen many egg fertile. In fact, this girl I saw him with was one that I got from the first rooster I kept for a while. SET ALL THE EGGS is right! I want some good layers, if he gets that leghorn, I will have me some sex links!

Back
Top Bottom