7th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2016 Hatch-A-Long

My final count after losing one yesterday. 9: 6 of variety I wanted and 3 of second choice I hope.

Top left third one over is not naked neck shell was stuck. I thought is was wet enough poor thing got a wax job.
One BCM which isn't in picture

All in all, I hatched 5 chicks. 2 Serama and only 3 silkies. :( I just can't hatch this woman's eggs! I think her shells are thicker than thick which is good but also bad. They were mostly malpositioned and didn't loose enough moisture. My humidity was only 25ish percent. I did get one paint chick but it doesn't have dark spots, just some dark hairs/down/whatever. :fl It is a pullet. I think I am just going to chill and wait for my girls to start laying and brooding and see what I can hatch and for now I'll be grateful I got a few chicks.

My first Serama to hatch has been so loud and grabbing toes in the brooder. He kept me up much of the night before last. Yesterday I had to bring in a little hen as there was some problem in a coop and strangely she got all beat up and her head was a bit bloody. She was my last hen to go broody last fall and both her chicks ended up dying so I had the bright idea to put this little bugger under her. She didn't mind at all and today has adopted him and is showing him food. So cute and she kept him quiet all night!!

I am crazy. And I put an old motel 6 ashtray (It fell in my suitcase on accident..dont judge me) filled with medicated chick starter into my bator along with a dish of water with marbles. I was kinda worried about the water dish raising humidity too high. It has stayed around 60-70%.
The feed looks a little clumpy and a wet chick took a power nap in it. But we have witnessed them all eating it and having a drink of water.
I will not open bator this time until day 23

I am crazy. And I put an old motel 6 ashtray (It fell in my suitcase on accident..dont judge me) filled with medicated chick starter into my bator along with a dish of water with marbles. I was kinda worried about the water dish raising humidity too high. It has stayed around 60-70%.
The feed looks a little clumpy and a wet chick took a power nap in it. But we have witnessed them all eating it and having a drink of water.
I will not open bator this time until day 23

:lau :lau :lau. Ash tray

Reminds me of my grandpa when he went out to eat he tucked in the napkin from the restaurant into his collar as a bib. Left with it still in his shirt. No one noticed or did not want to tell him.

Grandkid wants chocolate chip cookies for his birthday dessert they are in the oven I feel the urge for more coffee...yea supposed to be milk but there isn't any in the house. Where's LocalYokel when you need him

Back
Top Bottom