7th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2016 Hatch-A-Long

I'd love to join you, but I think I will just follow along for now.

For those of you in colder climates, what do you do with the chicks once they hatch? Do you raise them indoors? I have no problems hatching them indoors, but with numerous allergy and asthma sufferers in our household, there is no way we could tolerate raising chicks indoors. And, with outside temps here getting to -30 degree with the windchill, I'm not sure I would dare even keep chicks in the garage or well insulated barn. Any advice, or do I just need to wait until spring?
We have cold here too, built a good size brooder (3' X 5') raised and enclosed for the garage. two heat lamps mounted outside and shining through some hardware cloth, and a 100 watt bulb mounted on top inside. works for raising 6-8 chicks to 8 weeks at an average overnight temp of zero. then i move them to the coop, segregated by some hardware cloth for two or three weeks and they do just fine. brooder is closed on three sides, hardware cloth on front and top, cut and fitted some styro insulation to fit over the hardware cloth if needed, but usually full open after week two.

I couldn't get to sleep last night. I realized I'd be setting duck eggs soon, and I got all excited.
I'm torn about the number though. I have older eggs in the fridge I plan on throwing in (It's worth a shot!) but that will effect my hatch rate.
Oh well. I'm trying it.

I couldn't get to sleep last night. I realized I'd be setting duck eggs soon, and I got all excited.
I'm torn about the number though. I have older eggs in the fridge I plan on throwing in (It's worth a shot!) but that will effect my hatch rate.
Oh well. I'm trying it.

Back
Top Bottom