7th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2016 Hatch-A-Long

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by ronott1, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Peep_Show

Peep_Show Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    That's a long distance.... And a lot of freezing weather in between if the eggs sit out. However, last year's winner lived in VA, I believe, and got his eggs from CA. The contest is for a live chick as shipped eggs of any distance are a challenge.

Just sayin' as my eggs got delayed by bad weather and arrived decidedly, uhmmm, frosty. (But one did hatch!)

2. prizepete

prizepete Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2015
    yeah I got That thanks

3. vegaschick

vegaschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Hey Peepshow, it's so good to see that you're right in the thick of a hatch a long. All is right with the world. :) I actually may have to go to Trader Joes. NO ONE HAS FERTILE HATCHING EGGS HERE! EVERYONE IS MOULTING! *sigh* Well, I guess I could wait for April. This is the story of my life.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  4. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Now whut did I just tell ya all on the uther thread!!!

sure it is hang on

Ahem...... that you were gettin pepper today [​IMG]

I wont tell you to not go get eggs... I will tell you this Cause I am SALLYANNENABLER [​IMG]

you know these places..... chances are they are fertile, so walk in and ask about the eggs they are great for practice!!! So you pay a few bucks for eggs, sell the chicks for a buck a pc or even less, its for the experience! sell of CL or FB poultry groups...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  5. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Sing Brightly Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 1, 2015
    Well.. I was hoping maybe someone would say that it was a legitemate excuse and I could wait til easter... But I guess not...

6. Peep_Show

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    Actually, I'm not hatching...just sponsoring. Last year's NYD chicks are amongst my star layers... and, yes, I do have a Trader Joe's hen in my cadre. She's a superstar. Lays an Extra Large or Jumbo egg every day and has only missed 7 days in this laying season. Funny how the smallest hen lays the largest egg and the largest hen... well, good thing she's got lots of personality because her eggs are still on the tiny side.

Actually, the next time I hatch (which will be probably a ways in the future because DH really didn't like chicks/chickens in the house as long as they were) I'll be sure to have lots of TJ eggs as I wouldn't mind a few more layers like TeJae.

[​IMG]

7. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Sing Brightly Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 1, 2015
    PS.. Love your name... "Sallyannenabler"

8. Peep_Show

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    Hatchaholics Poster Child

9. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    well thats a bummer! I like to hatch along when I do everything with everyone! WOW a jumbo egg hugh! so cool! you must be proud to call her superstar!

LOL bubbles

10. Peep_Show

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    Blast from the past... Last year's chicks.

[​IMG]
    Oops, the one on the left, was the only one to hatch out on 1/3/15 of a batch of delayed-by-weather-once-shipped (and many arriving frozen) eggs.
    Leza (f/k/a Solo), right, was the only one to hatch out (1/1/15 @ 12:07 a.m....a winner!) of 2 dozen farmers market eggs that I substituted at the last minute when my other eggs got delayed by the snowstorms.
    Three dozen eggs = 2 live chicks. Both are now nice hens, so I feel extremely lucky despite the dismal hatch rate.

Good luck to all!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by