7th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2016 Hatch-A-Long

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by ronott1, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Peep_Show

Peep_Show Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    I will be along for the ride and living vicariously. I could probably win an "Air Egg Hatching" contest.

TeJae is so cool. She just hops in and out of the nest and doesn't even make an announcement. Prefers to lay first thing in the morning. Her eggs are easy to tell from the others as they're huge and very light (cream) color. I'd trade many of my hens for more like her....except I hatched them all, named them, and now am rather attached. Yep...didn't follow my signature line.

2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Cuties Peep!!!

3. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    I wish we had a Trader Joe's close by. There is one up north from us, just don't get up that way much. Have a couple of kids up that way..I should have them stop by there some time and grab me a doz. when they are coming down. I bet they are good layers. So, you got two..out of a doz.?

Wait! Just reread your post..3 doz.??!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  4. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Keep an eye out for the Easter hatch.

I will be looking forward to seeing you back!
    I will be hatching Trader Joes chicks again this year. I am going to see if I can get some from Whole Foods too.
    These are mine from last year along with BBS Australorps:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Aww ron, those are nice..colors are great.

So, how many did you get to hatch..out of how many doz.? lol..

6. Peep_Show

Peep_Show Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    Nothing cuter than chix pix!

Cynthia --
    The 3 dozen eggs were not Trader Joe's eggs, but the eggs for the NYD HAL. After the two hatched I picked up 3 dozen TJ Fertile eggs, set 32 and got 27 chicks. Then I had a houseful of chicks for the winter.

7. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    Here is my last years NYDH chick, she was a lone chick hatched under a broody.

Then
    [​IMG]

Now
    [​IMG]

8. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    I set 23 because there was one cracked egg in the dozen. I hatched out 19! Two did not make it though. The cockerels were processed and two of the pullets were sold. I still have 5 pullets from that hatch and they are great!

9. freejpony

freejpony Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    Central Oregon

Wow! I only got 2 out of 22, (had to check if they were really fertile) Trader Joe eggs to hatch. They both turned out to be cockerels, but they are going to be the foundation for a Saphire mock up project pen this spring.

10. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Oh wow peep and ron! I really need to get me some. Better than going to the feed store this spring for my leghorn. That's what they are right? I always need my egg layers, and I have one leghorn out there right now..an egg a day, so far, all through this cold. Love her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by