7th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2016 Hatch-A-Long

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by ronott1, Nov 10, 2015.

1. BullChick

BullChick Not who you think Premium Member

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    And now...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    LOL your getting there! are you on your cell? [​IMG] ha ha ha ok I gotta go finish note and links on the other thread... yer distracting me girl!! [​IMG]

3. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    If you want to get technical about stuff I can!

Eggs that touch hatch better because they somehow communicate with each other--I think they have a flock mind even in the egg.

For temperature regulation, you can put in heat syncs--clean bricks wrapped in foil and etc. You might need to use rocks to fill in the spaces in the turner for instance.

You have a commercial incubator so you should be fine with temperature regulation unless the temperature goes up and down in your house a lot during a day cycle. If so, the heat syncs will hold temperature for you.

Better?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  4. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Turners designed for still air incubators will have that hole plugged!

Rotate the eggs when water is added works too--or if you never add water, then every thee days ish.

5. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    not if purchased separately any fit in [​IMG][​IMG] is there a blow a kiss at my Ron emoticon? cynth I need one just for Ron cause I really do love him

6. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    I think they should all have a plug at that spot. I never put an egg there so it is great to remind those hatching in a turner to not use it.

Thanks!

7. prizepete

prizepete Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2015
    Well I won the auction for the serama eggs I wanted, They ship monday, so I be a couple of days off... Maybe I will let them sit an extra little bit[​IMG] But it depends how air cells are

Edit: Well I looked at the calendar, and if they take a few days to ship (which they probably will) And I let them settle I will be almost right on time. They might just be New years eve chicks

1 person likes this.
  8. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    There is a trade off between the age egg of the eggs and settling. The age wins out though so it is best to put them into the incubator as soon as they are room temperature.

I hope that makes sense!

1 person likes this.
  9. prizepete

prizepete Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2015
    It does. last time I did seramas the air cells where almost all detached so I did let them settle for a while but only one ended up hatching. I am just going to see when it happens.

10. BullChick

BullChick Not who you think Premium Member

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    Sally, I am worth the distraction! And, no. I am on my laptop. Just harried. The baby will be awake at any time, and I am hurrying to get everything done.

Ron, that is exactly the stuff Sally has been saying since she began her quest to be a pro at hatching (I think that was two days after getting chickens, but it was realistically about three months). I may have escaped your radar ([​IMG]) but I was fairly active in a thread with you two (and the wonderful Oz!) several months ago. So I also received your knowledge.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by