7th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2016 Hatch-A-Long

Ive got a pip!!
love.gif
nothing on the other 4 eggs, but one pip-nearly-a-zip so just made my morning! Ive got a lot of reading to catch up on with this thread, but just had to share with people who get where im coming from!
wee.gif

That is very eggciting!

Wow, I don't know what I would do!  My dog LOVES the chickens.  I had a silkie baby pop out of her broody cage and the dog pushed her along with her nose over to us.  She'll charge over to the pen with the adults and stick her nose in and let the hens peck it.  Strange.  I did have hawks kill a few silkies.  But not my entire flock.  I'm so sorry!!!!

Good luck with your start over!!!  Happy hatching!!

Yah my dogs i have now are good with the chickens and ducks. I have a rottweiler puppy right now thats great with them too. I used shade screen over the roof of the chicken run so the hawks and horned owls cant see in so there safe now. Excited about my first hatch with the new flocks eggs

shipped eggs need to be handled less because they have often been damaged by shipping. The embryos will be working to correct the damage--it is like healing for us. The extra jarring can either kill them or damage them more. After a week or so they will be more like not shipped eggs.
so what does that mean you should or should not do with shipped eggs?

Quick question - these chicks are from Thanksgiving (the day after) - so almost 5 weeks old. They are mostly feathered, but heads still covered in down. They play outside during the day when the weather is nice, but have really been living in the brooder... but I will need to move them along to make room for the new hatch. Do you think they are ready to be moved into my starter coop? or - do you think it would be better for me to bring them inside for another week or two? I'm in central North Carolina so its not really that cold (compared to Wisconsin, where I grew up). I do NOT have heat lamp in the starter coop. What would you do?

Back
Top Bottom